2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HHO Fuel cell

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:33 PM
dragon8master
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post to this thread so far as I can recall, but I've been reading and re-reading it, and I've done ALOT of reading on other sites about HHO as well. I have built a cell based on the one I saw on www.mindstrain.com. I am using KOH as my electrolyte. I am currently using a 4 plate (3.5" X 7.5" each) +-+- design in a 1.1 gallon rubbermaid container that is microwavable so it should take the heat. I just installed it in the truck last night after 2 or 3 weeks of bench testing to figure out what water mixture to use. It's drawing about 15 amps i think, or it was on the bench right before I put it in the truck. I have not installed the ampmeter in the truck yet, gotta get a gauge pod tomorrow when I get paid. I do not have a way to measure the temp, but after it runs for about 20 mins it is very warm to the touch on the outside of the continer, but not really hot. So far the truck seems to be running a little smoother, makes a little more power. I do not have a MAP or O2 device installed yet, I will try the foil wrap on the O2 on my next tank.

From what I have read I think I may need to add 5 more plates, making all but the end ones neutral to lower the voltage and consequently the heat. I really think that the trick is to get a 1.5 - 2 volt drop between each plate, and run about 10 amps maximum. This should produce plenty of gas, and run a low enough temp to never worry about steam/water vapor. Although I am using a bubbler to solve that anyway, as well as give me a flash arrestor and clean any koh from the gas going to my engine.

Oh, and I have my cell sitting in the bed of the truck, so engine heat is not a factor. I am using 2 check valves, one between the cell and bubbler and one right where the hho gas line goes into the inake line. I have it all wired with a relay, a master switch w/LED, and hopefully tomorrow the ampmeter. I will post mpg results as soon as I have anything substantial, along with any changes to my setup. And hopefully some pics too.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
nomolos1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New info for you guys. I just spoke with one of my drywall framers. I noticed he had a mason jar behind the grill of his new truck. He is also on the forums. He owns a 2008 Ram Mega Cab 1500HD 4x4. Earl started fresh with 17 mpg hwy. He has installed a chip and the mason jar HHO. He gets a solid 25 mpg hwy. THAT IS OVER 40%!!!!!! With a mason jar. Guys this truck weighs about 7000 lbs. (The bed always has 500 lbs in it)

Quick Reply: HHO Fuel cell