2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota RT owner's

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
daker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota RT owner's

I'm looking at buying a dakota RT but had a few questions that maybe you RT owners would know. I test drove one so far, and didn't buy it because it was slipping real bad and jumped out of gear. The guy told my that the Dakota and Durango RT's shift firm, is this true? Is that how it shifts when driven casually? Or was it just that particular truck? I also didn't realize that the truck was so beefed up under the chasis. It had an extra mounting bracket between the engine and transmission and the driveshaft was oversized too, is that how they are stock? Any information on the Dakota RT's would be very helpful in my future purchase, Thanks!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 PM
JasonA
Veteran
Default RE: Dakota RT owner's

It may shift firm stock, but the adjustment of the TV cable has a lot to do with that. I adjusted mine slightly on my '97 and it made a real (and positive) difference in the shifting. And by "positive", I mean minimal slipping and firm and quick engagements.

Why did he say they shifted firm if the transmission is slipping and falling out of gear? Was that statement somehow supposed to explain that behavior? Unless this is the only R/T you've found in 2 years of looking or something, I'd move on to the next one. You never know the condition of the transmission (or even the engine), and who knows how it's been maintained.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:12 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 46re Trannys in the Dakota R/Ts are not that great of a tranny, you loose about 23% power though it when most other tranny syou loose an avg of 15-18%

you can get a NVXXX 5 speed and swap it out, or get a rebuilt 46re with a shift kit and a correct TV Cable adjusment and it will shift like no other.

and im not sure what you mean by extra mounting bracket from engine to tranny.. are you talking about a subframe connection or somthing? Not sure... what you mean.

also how many miles did it have on it, what year and whats the VIN... from 98-03 there is alot of stuff you need to know about each year.. also might want to check the PCM on it.

Dealership trying to sell it to you or some owner?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: User2006

The 46re Trannys in the Dakota R/Ts are not that great of a tranny, you loose about 23% power though it when most other tranny syou loose an avg of 15-18%

you can get a NVXXX 5 speed and swap it out, or get a rebuilt 46re with a shift kit and a correct TV Cable adjusment and it will shift like no other.

and im not sure what you mean by extra mounting bracket from engine to tranny.. are you talking about a subframe connection or somthing? Not sure... what you mean.

also how many miles did it have on it, what year and whats the VIN... from 98-03 there is alot of stuff you need to know about each year.. also might want to check the PCM on it.

Dealership trying to sell it to you or some owner?
42re! lol Thats what I got and IT PULLS. It's geared a bit lower, hopefully holds up so far it has... They are pretty good though still. I was doing burn outs today. My exhaust fell off so now it's loud as hell...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
daker

It was a 2000 dakota RT with 55,000 miles on it, don't know the VIN. It had thin braces/bars on the tranny bolts to the engine, I don't know if someone put those on for more strength and a good sized driveshaft, is that stock for an RT? The truck doesn't matter now I'm not getting that one, I was mostly just curious about the firm shifting, it sure didn't feel like a casual shift like on my 00' dakota Quad cab 4.7. By the way something was definitely messed up with that tranny on that truck, I mashed the throttle to the floor from a stop and it didn't even bark a tire, my 4.7 could do better,and it accelerated the same I thought. all that power wasn't getting to the wheels (slipping alot, jumped out of gear, check engine light, not good). oh, and it was a small dealer that had the truck.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: daker

It was a 2000 dakota RT with 55,000 miles on it, don't know the VIN. It had thin braces/bars on the tranny bolts to the engine, I don't know if someone put those on for more strength and a good sized driveshaft, is that stock for an RT? The truck doesn't matter now I'm not getting that one, I was mostly just curious about the firm shifting, it sure didn't feel like a casual shift like on my 00' dakota Quad cab 4.7. By the way something was definitely messed up with that tranny on that truck, I mashed the throttle to the floor from a stop and it didn't even bark a tire, my 4.7 could do better, and it accelerated the same I thought. all that power wasn't getting to the wheels (slipping alot, jumped out of gear, check engine light, not good). oh, and it was a small dealer that had the truck.
Probably a scrapper truck.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:20 PM
User
Champion

It was a 2000 dakota RT with 55,000 miles on it, don't know the VIN. It had thin braces/bars on the tranny bolts to the engine, I don't know if someone put those on for more strength and a good sized driveshaft, is that stock for an RT? The truck doesn't matter now I'm not getting that one, I was mostly just curious about the firm shifting, it sure didn't feel like a casual shift like on my 00' dakota Quad cab 4.7. By the way something was definitely messed up with that tranny on that truck, I mashed the throttle to the floor from a stop and it didn't even bark a tire, my 4.7 could do better,and it accelerated the same I thought. all that power wasn't getting to the wheels (slipping alot, jumped out of gear, check engine light, not good). oh, and it was a small dealer that had the truck.
Hmm, thats really low miles for a 2000.. if i was you, i would check what the C/E light is on for at a dealership or somthing, and try to figure out the problem, more then likely with those miles, the bands in the Tranny need to be adjusted and maybe a tune up, it probably wasnt kept up.

Adjust the Bands, Tranny Flush, Tune Up, New Coil, Rotor, Cap, Plugs, Wires, Oil Change Syn 10w30 Mobile 1, and get a Coolent flush, i would tell the dealership to do it since they tired to tell you it was normal.. thats bull****, although the Daks R/Ts do kinda shift hard at WOT, o ya and you might want to replace o2 sensors the 2000s only have 2 instead of 4 so that saves you some money.

Also the 2000 is a pretty good year 01+ they changed some PCM **** and hard to find Performance PCMS for them, i have a 2000 and parts for it are nicely found, 01+ also had diffrent exhaust 98-00 had the best exhaust setup.

Alsomight want to look into this one, if it was a Single Cab you might want to pick it up, trucks are rare as hell, 2000 they made Bright white ava. If it is.. rare truck.

Look at the pic i posted at our meet, most of the Daks are Club Cabs, i think maybe 3 Daks are Single Cab, and everyone has a buddy with matching colors.. im the only Bright White Single Cab.

also no the dak does not come with those braces somone must have put those on, as for the driveshaft. . not sure.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM
daker

Thanks for all the info, I'll keep those things in mind for the next one..

Old 05-14-2008, 12:17 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

It was a 2000 dakota RT with 55,000 miles on it, don't know the VIN. It had thin braces/bars on the tranny bolts to the engine, I don't know if someone put those on for more strength and a good sized driveshaft, is that stock for an RT? The truck doesn't matter now I'm not getting that one, I was mostly just curious about the firm shifting, it sure didn't feel like a casual shift like on my 00' dakota Quad cab 4.7. By the way something was definitely messed up with that tranny on that truck, I mashed the throttle to the floor from a stop and it didn't even bark a tire, my 4.7 could do better, and it accelerated the same I thought. all that power wasn't getting to the wheels (slipping alot, jumped out of gear, check engine light, not good). oh, and it was a small dealer that had the truck.
Hmm, thats really low miles for a 2000.. if i was you, i would check what the C/E light is on for at a dealership or somthing, and try to figure out the problem, more then likely with those miles, the bands in the Tranny need to be adjusted and maybe a tune up, it probably wasnt kept up.

Adjust the Bands, Tranny Flush, Tune Up, New Coil, Rotor, Cap, Plugs, Wires, Oil Change Syn 10w30 Mobile 1, and get a Coolent flush, i would tell the dealership to do it since they tired to tell you it was normal.. thats bull****, although the Daks R/Ts do kinda shift hard at WOT, o ya and you might want to replace o2 sensors the 2000s only have 2 instead of 4 so that saves you some money.

Also the 2000 is a pretty good year 01+ they changed some PCM **** and hard to find Performance PCMS for them, i have a 2000 and parts for it are nicely found, 01+ also had diffrent exhaust 98-00 had the best exhaust setup.

Also might want to look into this one, if it was a Single Cab you might want to pick it up, trucks are rare as hell, 2000 they made Bright white ava. If it is.. rare truck.

Look at the pic i posted at our meet, most of the Daks are Club Cabs, i think maybe 3 Daks are Single Cab, and everyone has a buddy with matching colors.. im the only Bright White Single Cab.

also no the dak does not come with those braces somone must have put those on, as for the driveshaft. . not sure.
I don't think the o2 thing is true, I got a 99 dakota engine with harness, it has 4 sensors, not 2. I need to buys sims now But not a big deal....

Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 AM
User
Champion

ORIGINAL: varsis

Alsomight want to look into this one, if it was a Single Cab you might want to pick it up, trucks are rare as hell, 2000 they made Bright white ava. If it is.. rare truck.

I don't think the o2 thing is true, I got a 99 dakota engine with harness, it has 4 sensors, not 2. I need to buys sims now But not a big deal....
Not any dakota from 97-00 only the R/Ts they had an upgraded exhaust package, the 98-00 daks had 2 o2s with one cat.. a few from 2000 to 2001 had 4 but not many.. 01+ had 4o2s..

if yours was not an R/T and 97-04 gen3 then you probably had 4 o2s.. some had 2, we always argue about it at our meets because a black sheep dakota will show up and be a 2000 or earlier and have 4 o2s and everyone is like WTF?

Quick Reply: Dakota RT owner's