2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust Lowered -- And Coolant Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Lowered -- And Coolant Leak!

Here is an easy way to get the fan off, I was going to post this but than my internet went wack for a day or two.... First off get a 1 inch crescent wrench, open it up all the way it just barely fits. Next is grab, a pair larger vise grips but with a more square front... (Not the rounded inside, but ones with some flat surface... maybe il get some pictures) Next just use the vise grips and hammer the nut off, after that it should move fairly easy and just spin it off. (You can remove the belt, and I would to avoid damaging it... )

Old 05-20-2008, 01:59 AM
300exoh
Rookie

So where do the vise grips go?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 AM
JasonA
Veteran

I've heard mixed opinions on running the 195 t-stat with a basically stock engine but mostly related to heating for the winter.
Yeah, and I'm not sure why (there are mixed opinions on the 195*F thermostat). That's the OE spec, and the one that came in the truck from the factory. It should work just fine. Even with the A/C on and sitting in traffic, the temperature gauge on mine never moves past the "2" in the "210" label. In other words, it never goes above the 11:00 position on the gauge. I see no evidence showing the benefit of a colder thermostat -- and in fact, besides emissions, engine wear increases as the engine temperature decreases. NASCAR guys run their engines in the 200-250*F range also (and they're not concerned with emissions).

I'm going to have to check out the fan on mine again. I never paid attention to the number of blades. I've never heard anything regarding a larger fan...it could be part of the tow package. Do you have an external trans cooler besides the one in the radiator?
I don't think mine has the tow package. The only transmission cooler is integral to the radiator. No external coolers, for transmission or engine oil. There may have been a HD engine cooling package back then. When you look up the fan clutch on rockauto.com, you can see a "standard" (thinner) clutch, and a "heavy duty" (thicker) clutch. On rockauto.com, they list these fan clutches for the 1997 Dakota:

Reverse Rotation Severe Duty Thermal Fan Clutch; w/ Thread-On Fan Clutch

Optional Reverse Rotation Heavy Duty Thermal Fan Clutch; w/ Thread-On Fan Clutch

Mine is most definitely the "Severe Duty" one they have listed. The clutch case is at least 1" thick, rather than "tapered" like the smaller unit.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 300exoh

So where do the vise grips go?
Ooops, on the water pumps pulley...

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
300exoh
Rookie

ORIGINAL: JasonA

I've heard mixed opinions on running the 195 t-stat with a basically stock engine but mostly related to heating for the winter.
Yeah, and I'm not sure why (there are mixed opinions on the 195*F thermostat). That's the OE spec, and the one that came in the truck from the factory. It should work just fine. Even with the A/C on and sitting in traffic, the temperature gauge on mine never moves past the "2" in the "210" label. In other words, it never goes above the 11:00 position on the gauge. I see no evidence showing the benefit of a colder thermostat -- and in fact, besides emissions, engine wear increases as the engine temperature decreases. NASCAR guys run their engines in the 200-250*F range also (and they're not concerned with emissions).

I'm going to have to check out the fan on mine again. I never paid attention to the number of blades. I've never heard anything regarding a larger fan...it could be part of the tow package. Do you have an external trans cooler besides the one in the radiator?
I don't think mine has the tow package. The only transmission cooler is integral to the radiator. No external coolers, for transmission or engine oil. There may have been a HD engine cooling package back then. When you look up the fan clutch on rockauto.com, you can see a "standard" (thinner) clutch, and a "heavy duty" (thicker) clutch. On rockauto.com, they list these fan clutches for the 1997 Dakota:

Reverse Rotation Severe Duty Thermal Fan Clutch; w/ Thread-On Fan Clutch

Optional Reverse Rotation Heavy Duty Thermal Fan Clutch; w/ Thread-On Fan Clutch

Mine is most definitely the "Severe Duty" one they have listed. The clutch case is at least 1" thick, rather than "tapered" like the smaller unit.
I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that about the t-stat. I guess I was thinking of the 180* t-stat. I must have been tired. lol

Seems odd that they would offer a upgraded cooling fan without a tow package/trans cooler...maybe it is intended for warmer climates.

varsis- I figured that is where the vise grips go. I'm guessing it just holds the pulley against the housing while you loosen the fan nut. We were going to try that but since we had the air hammer laying around we just took the easier route.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Lowered -- And Coolant Leak!