2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Zach R/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Swap?

I've been looking for some advice about attempting a transmission swap on a 2001 Dakota R/T. It's currently an automatic (stock, not my choice) and I was wondering how diificult to would be to install a manual. I just feel my 5.9 would be brought out better with a manual and I'd get better fuel economy too (anything's better than 16mpg with gas at $4 a gallon) I've heard the wiring and programming is the toughest part of the job and that a 5-speed from a Ram works nicely in place of the old transmission. I have no idea if these ideas are correct or easy to do. Unfortunaly I've only got at max $2000 to work with which might be impossible to manage. So if you have any ideas (or if you want to tell me that my idea is the stupidest thing you've ever heard) please tell me. I'd love to hear your opinions on my far-fetched idea. Thank you

Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Swap?

im not completely sure on this, but i know it has been done before. i belive you'll need a computer from a truck with a manual trans or it wont work. I think the NV3500 will fit behind a 360 because i know it bolts behind a 318. of course you'll have to cut a hole in your floorboard for the shifter. The good thing is, you will notice a big power difference and better mileage since that 46RE automatic sucks up about 23% of the engine's power while a manual will only suck up about 10-15% And I totally agree on spending money on mods for better mileage, I would rather spend money on anything else than to give more money to those rich bastards in the middle east.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:43 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Swap?

ORIGINAL: wink2873

im not completely sure on this, but i know it has been done before. i belive you'll need a computer from a truck with a manual trans or it wont work. I think the NV3500 will fit behind a 360 because i know it bolts behind a 318. of course you'll have to cut a hole in your floorboard for the shifter. The good thing is, you will notice a big power difference and better mileage since that 46RE automatic sucks up about 23% of the engine's power while a manual will only suck up about 10-15% And I totally agree on spending money on mods for better mileage, I would rather spend money on anything else than to give more money to those rich bastards in the middle east.
everything you said is currect.. the 5 speed bolts up nicely.. if you want to go out with a bang you can also go as far as installing a Viper 6 Speed.. its been done also,

only thing that isnt true is the PCM out of a Truck with a Manual Tranny. Dont have to do that, good thing about the NV is that the PCM doesnt **** with it.. and you know what i mean about that if you drive a r/t with an auto in it and try to WOT in Drive... PCM goes crazy trying to figure out witch gear to go into and has a little delay

when i shift my auto i start in 1st and shift to 2nd, then drive and turn od off so it doesnt shift at 100 into 4th.. i can get an axtra 10mph out of 3rd if i turn od off.. then turn it on at 110 and it will shift into 4th..

with the mopar PCM ive redlined 4th, with my hypertech i got it up to 130 np, with my mopar pcm i had a friend follow me with a gauge that goes up to 140 and he said he was going 140 and i was still pulling.. im guessing withe 3.92 gears max out at 145, or 150.. i wish out gauges went up to 200.. makes things easier..

Quick Reply: Transmission Swap?