2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

question about diffs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 12:29 PM
hardwired
Default question about diffs

i have a question i need answered. i was looking for a way to possibly weld my diff to take it from being an open diff to locked. i havent had a chance yet to pull everything out and really take a look at it yet though ive read that welding some of the teeth on the spider gears so that they dont actually move inside the diff was a way to lock it all up. as far as street drivability i dont care, im looking for ORV performance from my 2wd dak. any ideas and or opinions on how well this would work would be nice. oh, and i dont really have all that much money which is why i dont just go buy a locker or lsd, gotta save for that wedding somehow.

Thanks
T

Old 05-21-2008 | 12:41 PM
440shadow
Professional
Default RE: question about diffs

yes welding the spider gears will lock the diff, and it works great for straight line driving or small bends in the road. but taking sharp turns increase the risk of snapping an axle.

Old 05-21-2008 | 12:44 PM
hardwired

i know that locking the diff either completely kills the road driving or breaks the rear end up which would suck, if i drove it on the road. so it will work, if i take it apart and weld the spider gears it'll make it a locked diff? i might just have to take pictures and make this a DIY to send to the guys here.

Old 05-21-2008 | 12:52 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

i dont think anyone will want to be welding their spider gears together, it's not really a good idea.

Old 05-21-2008 | 12:56 PM
hardwired

i just figured that i have been looking into it, i saw other people on other forums asking about it and not very many if any got a strait answer about it so i might just do that so that next time someone wants to be a retard like me they will have the info readily available.

Old 05-21-2008 | 01:12 PM
fivehundo
Rookie

ORIGINAL: wink2873

i dont think anyone will want to be welding their spider gears together, it's not really a good idea.
+1

Exactly...

You might as well throw a handfull of roofing nails in your diff while you're at it.

If you're going to do a locker, do it proper with a Detroit or something comparible. Don't "jimmy-rig" your diff...

Old 05-21-2008 | 01:13 PM
hardwired

hey if you got the $500+ its gonna cost for a diff then yeah ill do it right, but i got other things that take presidence over spending that kinda cash on my truck

Old 05-21-2008 | 01:27 PM
JasonA
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hardwired

hey if you got the $500+ its gonna cost for a diff then yeah ill do it right, but i got other things that take presidence over spending that kinda cash on my truck
I really think that answers your question: DON'T DO IT. By welding the differential gears together, you WILL break stuff if you drive it on dry pavement. You'll also go through rear tires very quickly, from scrubbing them throughcorners. In other words, doing it right (with a Trac-Lock or full locker) will cost you LESS money than jury-rigging a weld job. Because when you break something, you'll have to come up with the cash for a whole new axle assembly most likely, and that's going to run you $500 anyway. So why not just spend it up front...or don't spend it at all?

Old 05-21-2008 | 02:02 PM
hardwired

well, if you had read my earlier post...the entire post, you would have read that this truck isnt going to be driving on the road...ORV, im not looking for if you think i should do it or not, i was trying to see if anyone knew info about it before i decided to crack the diff open and try it.

EDIT: I love how everyone wants to push their opinion about what other people should and should not do to their trucks.

Old 05-21-2008 | 02:07 PM
fivehundo
Rookie

ORIGINAL: hardwired

well, if you had read my earlier post...the entire post, you would have read that this truck isnt going to be driving on the road...ORV, im not looking for if you think i should do it or not, i was trying to see if anyone knew info about it before i decided to crack the diff open and try it.
Has one person yet told you that this was a good idea?

The one guy that said "it works great" also said "risk of snapping an axle" in the same reply. This is not a good idea. If you don't have the funds to do it proper right now, just wait until you do.

just my .02

Quick Reply: question about diffs