2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

STUPID GAS PRICES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 06:04 PM
dak3.9
|
Veteran
Default STUPID GAS PRICES!!!!

I am really angry!! I just spent $74.01 to fill up fill up my truck just a couple minutes ago. It's freakin rediculous. Sorry, im just ranting. But it just gets me so mad. Ha. They better start comming down or i gotta stop driving so much or just stop driving (which i dont think wil happen) Oh well.... Ha.

Phil

Old 05-21-2008 | 06:35 PM
fivehundo
Rookie
Default RE: STUPID GAS PRICES!!!!

Yeah, I just filled up too for 3.99 & 9/10... (by the way, can we get rid of that 9/10 cent nonsense already?)

I've been looking into upgrading my truck to run on compressed natural gas as well as gasoline. This is getting ridiculous. All I can say is consider this during this next election. Figure out who is more likely to be in bed with the oil companies...

...then, vote for the other guy.

Old 05-21-2008 | 06:54 PM
dak3.9
|
Veteran

IT's 3.849 here in PA. I hate to say it, but im gonna have to look into getting a car. Just to help with gas so i can go longer on gas. If it does come to that, im gonna be pretty mad cause i really like my truck.

Old 05-21-2008 | 07:07 PM
fivehundo
Rookie

ORIGINAL: dak3.9

IT's 3.849 here in PA. I hate to say it, but im gonna have to look into getting a car. Just to help with gas so i can go longer on gas. If it does come to that, im gonna be pretty mad cause i really like my truck.
Ever consider a bike? Some options out there get upwards of 70 MPG, like the Yamaha TW200. My Triumph Daytona gets about 40 MPG (but its a big *** literbike). My Husky SMR450 gets almost 60MPG and it does over 100mph. I understand the increased danger and will understand completely if that's "not your bag" so to speak.

I've looked into this carefully though and I will tell you that about the best option from a "life cycle cost" standpoint will be a Diesel Jetta,Beattle or Golf. I know Diesel is through the roof cost wise right now, but also consider that diesel engines don't need "tune ups" as they have no spark plugs or complex ignition systems. This also means fewer moving and/or electrical parts (i.e. less stuff that can break). Factor in the lubricating properties of diesel vs. gasoline and you've got a combination for a very reliable vehicle. A VW TDI engine can get more than 40 MPG and it's not even a hybrid.

A Toyota Prius would get you a little more mileage but it's ugly as sin, it still (ultimately) relies on gasoline and if you loose a battery for the hybrid motor, prepare to slap leather, because those nickel batteries ain't cheap...

Old 05-21-2008 | 09:46 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Im shopping for a car for the majority of my driving, my parents moved 45mi away a few months ago and thats gonna catch up in fuel costs soon. Plus try going 75mph on the highway with mud tires. I think i might be sterile now [:'(]. Its going to be a project aswell so im sure that the economy will fall shortly after modding begins but untill then ill take the MPG

Old 05-21-2008 | 09:55 PM
dak3.9
|
Veteran

Yea, I wanna get a bike, but, i think that'll come later in life. Ha. I think after im done with college, im gonna trade the dak in (which im not looking forward to at all) because its such an awsome truck, but, i was thinking about getting a 6 cyl truck. It'll be a little better on gas. I know it defeats the purpose, but i need a truck for where i live becasue of snow and i need a vehicle i can use to haul things and my quad. I was thinking of a 6 cyl 5 spd truck. Im not sure though. If you got any ideas on what other type of truck i could get, feel free to let me know. Im open to any suggestions. Ha.

Phil

Old 05-22-2008 | 01:41 AM
geoffb123
Veteran

How about a smart car? There putting Hayabusa engines in them. Search it in youtube. Those things are crazy.

Old 05-22-2008 | 11:29 AM
chris1974
Veteran

dak 3.9- I may be wrong, but I dont think the 6 cyl. dakotas are much better on gas than the 8 cyl. Like i said, i may be wrong.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago, that says if Americans can come together and not buy gas from one certain oil company (for instance, Shell), and we all bought our gas from someone else, that Shell would have to drop thier prices to bring business back. It makes sence, but getting everyone to come together and do it is another story...

Old 05-22-2008 | 06:29 PM
fivehundo
Rookie

ORIGINAL: chris1974

dak 3.9- I may be wrong, but I dont think the 6 cyl. dakotas are much better on gas than the 8 cyl. Like i said, i may be wrong.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago, that says if Americans can come together and not buy gas from one certain oil company (for instance, Shell), and we all bought our gas from someone else, that Shell would have to drop thier prices to bring business back. It makes sence, but getting everyone to come together and do it is another story...
You'd really have to do your homework to determine which stations were using shell and which ones weren't. Just because the station doesn't say "Shell" on the sign doesn't mean that they aren't using shell gasoline.

Old 05-22-2008 | 06:54 PM
w9awx
Professional

$4.19 a gallon here. I would love to have the problem of having $3.89 a gallon.

Quick Reply: STUPID GAS PRICES!!!!