2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

hum noise while pressing on gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 AM
dualdakota01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hum noise while pressing on gas pedal

hey all, just a little wierd noise i hear .. i only hear it when i press on the gas from around 40-60 km/h. then when i release the gas pedal it stops. hit it again and it hums away. almost sounds like big mud tires when driving on pavement but its not my tires cause it goes away when foot isn't on the gas pedal. sounds im assuming from maybe the front diff. since it does sound like its from the front end. maybe a fluid change in the front??
its obviously something that engages only when gas is pressed. so.?? any thoughts? its not that loud and hasn't gotton worse yet but curious if anyone has had this?
thanks.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
JasonA
Veteran
Default RE: hum noise while pressing on gas pedal

It sounds like a gear whine and, from what I've read on here and other Dakota forums, it's fairly common. Mine has a pretty pronounced whine, but only in the 40-45 MPH speed range, and only when lightly on the gas. Closed throttle or heavy throttle and it doesn't do it. A fluid change/level check would be relatively quick and easy to do, but it may not solve the problem. The problem is likely mechanical, but it doesn't sound like something that's ever going to cause harm. Some folks' trucks have done it for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
dualdakota01
Professional

cool. yah sounds like it is something that is just mechanical and how they are made. a fluid change may help and did help when i changed it in the rear diff when i had noise in that. so i may try a fluid change. we'll see. good to hear others have the same sound tho. thanks .

Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my truck has done that since it was brand new, its no big deal.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Candice Griffin
Default Have u figured the problem yet

Originally Posted by dualdakota01
hey all, just a little wierd noise i hear .. i only hear it when i press on the gas from around 40-60 km/h. then when i release the gas pedal it stops. hit it again and it hums away. almost sounds like big mud tires when driving on pavement but its not my tires cause it goes away when foot isn't on the gas pedal. sounds im assuming from maybe the front diff. since it does sound like its from the front end. maybe a fluid change in the front??
its obviously something that engages only when gas is pressed. so.?? any thoughts? its not that loud and hasn't gotton worse yet but curious if anyone has had this?
thanks.
have you ever figured out why it done this? If so what was causing it...... just curious because my Durango is doing the exact same thing.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:47 PM
steiner_travis@yahoo.com
Default Makes noise when pressing on gas pedal when I’m in gear and not in gear

My 05 ram 1500 hums when I press the gas pedal. When I’m in gear and not in gear. Vacuum line maybe?

Old 10-23-2021, 04:16 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine was ongoing an it was the pinion bearings at differential .
started as a hum an got louder as i drove on it for a while..

Quick Reply: hum noise while pressing on gas pedal