2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1.7's

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1.7's

what 'custom' mods will i have to make if i toss a set of 1.7's at my mostly stock 01 R/T? i heard something about valve cover clearance? what brand would you guys recommend? thanks,
~J~

Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1.7's

if you go with harland sharp 1.7's you dont have to do anything. it's a complete bolt on. here's a nice writeup.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/rollerrocker.php

Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock valve covers have a large baffle in them that wont let the 1.7s clear, you can cut this baffle out, but could end up with some oil leaks later on. So i suggest getting a set of Mopar Performance Valve Covers, they are made taller to clear the 1.7s and look very nice. But they are not cheap. Unless you can find a set of used ones

Old 06-27-2008, 05:50 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue with roller rockers is the extra hardware that allows them to be adjustable for fine-tuning the roller tip alignment, rather than the ratio - they're a little too tall to sit as-is under a set of factory valve covers. It is possible to take off the OEM valve covers and punch back the internal baffles to achieve enough clearance for adjustables, but it's not an easy process.

You have two "easy" options...
1) Buy a set of Mopar Performance valve covers - they're taller on the inside.
2) Buy a set of non-adjustable Harland-Sharp roller rockers. You can get them from www.southeastperformance.com, www.summitracing.com, etc. - they were designed for people who plan on sticking with simple bolt-on mods (they're not as convenient if you're using alternative heads or cam). In this case you just bolt them up to spec and you're ready to go, they will fit under OEM valve covers.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:43 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SinCity R/T

The issue with roller rockers is the extra hardware that allows them to be adjustable for fine-tuning the roller tip alignment, rather than the ratio - they're a little too tall to sit as-is under a set of factory valve covers. It is possible to take off the OEM valve covers and punch back the internal baffles to achieve enough clearance for adjustables, but it's not an easy process.

You have two "easy" options...
1) Buy a set of Mopar Performance valve covers - they're taller on the inside.
2) Buy a set of non-adjustable Harland-Sharp roller rockers. You can get them from www.southeastperformance.com, www.summitracing.com, etc. - they were designed for people who plan on sticking with simple bolt-on mods (they're not as convenient if you're using alternative heads or cam). In this case you just bolt them up to spec and you're ready to go, they will fit under OEM valve covers.
Mine are 1.7 HS Non Adjustable and i had to cut the baffles out for them to clear the stock Valve covers, went to a set of Mopar Perf. Valve Covers mainly for looks and better clearance.

Good Info. BTW did you ever get my PM on Dak Dur?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 AM
SinCity R/T
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: User2006
Mine are 1.7 HS Non Adjustable and i had to cut the baffles out for them to clear the stock Valve covers, went to a set of Mopar Perf. Valve Covers mainly for looks and better clearance.

Good Info. BTW did you ever get my PM on Dak Dur?
Odd - I didn't have to punch the baffles on my covers when I had HS 1.7's - that was the primary purpose of the non-adjustable design.

Yes I got the PM.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

these? it says stock height, but i'm guessing that menas external height. will these clear the HS 1.7's?