2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Windshield Washer Doesn't Work. Help

Old 07-30-2008, 04:25 PM
jsaluzzi421
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Doesn't Work. Help

Folks:

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2WD Ext 5.2L V8 and my washer does not work. Here is what I found:

I took off the plastic clips/screws that hold the grille under the hood to access the hoses that lead to the nozzels that was the windows. I checked the lines and noticed that this small plastic adapter in the shape of a "y" appears to be plugged up. I tried spraying it with an air duster and there is no free flow through the outlets, but fluid is probably coming out of a small hole on top.The washer pump appears to be working as fluid is puddling up under this adapter.Am I correct in assuming that this part needs to be replaced? Does anyoneknow what this part is called and what is the part number?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Old 07-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Natedogg625
Record Breaker
Default RE: Windshield Washer Doesn't Work. Help

If you can stick something in there you mabe able to break up the blockage. If I have the time tomorrowI will see if I can look up the part at work assuming its replaceable...

Old 07-31-2008, 01:43 PM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Washer Doesn't Work. Help

Soak it in vinegar for a couple hours and then try to blow it out again.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
jsaluzzi421
Default Windshield Washer not working

Folks:

I tried soaking the part, but it is still faulty.

I special ordered it from the dealer and when I went to pick up the part, it was the wrong part. Their part was a hose with some kind of valve/filter shaped like an acorn. My part is a small plastic piece shaped like a “Y”. The single leg goes to the hose output from the pump and the double leg goes to the hoses for each of the windshield nozzles. Please note that it is not a simple “Y” adapter. It has an internal valve that always keeps fluid in the hoses ready to be dispensed by the pump. It also prevents the fluid from being siphoned out when the pump is not running.

When I explained that he was giving me the wrong part, he searched his computer, but could not find my part in his system.

Does anyone know the part number or has dodge modified the system to include the setup that the parts guy offered?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Joe

Old 08-19-2008, 08:24 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Up-Date??

Any update on this part?
Mine is doing (Believe it or not)
the same thing! Only mine is
spraying out the little weep-
hole on the piece instead of
each wiper-tube.
Looks like an easy fix if I can
locate the part!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 PM
anotherZebra
Default Part fixable

Hi Gents,

It's been 3 years since the last post on this so I don't know if anybody cares but...

I ran into the same problem. That little Y connect comes apart. If you look closely, there is a seam all around on the same side as the little vent. A set of vice grips used gently will pry it off. There is a little poppit valve inside that gets gunked up. I just peeled off all the crap and snapped it back together. Works great. I figure that since it didn't work anyway I had nothing to lose.

Hope that helps anyone that finds this...

Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
roxanne howell

Yes, that little Y connector comes apart and gets gummed up. Mine was also squirting out the weeping hole on the bottom. I used a razor blade to pry the bottom off, cleaned it and now my washer squirts like a champ.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

all was be sure the hoses get back on. the fulid really does a job on a distributor cap. dont ask.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Doesn't Work. Help