2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Differential woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
geb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Differential woes

Hi
Well my 02 dak has got the howl> Would anyone know of a site where I can purchase the tool for adjusting the carrier bearings through the axle tube? Has anyone done the adjustments without the tool, or has anyone made the tool? I would like to do the job myself but if i can't find the carrier tool i might have to bring it to a shop.

Thanks in advance

First time dodge owner and not on a good roll, only had this thing for a month.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that stinks. are you going to put a different gear in the rear end when you tear it apart?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
geb
Default rtdakota

hey rtdakota no i don't plan on changing out the ring / pinion set just doing a bearing overhaul. it has a set of 3.55 in it and by looking at the wear pattern things look normal to me, i guess i will determin more when i actually confirm what the howl is coming from in the diff.

ya this really sucks as i run my 91 ford explorer up to this date and never had a diff/drivetrain problem. its to bad the body is falling off lol

Old 08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
dualdakota01
Professional

hey,
one cheap thing you can do is just change the fluid. i had the same issue when i bought mine used. the diff fluid had never been changed in it and when i turned the truck at slow speed it would make a bizare sound. like a howl kinda. but yah i changed the fluid and made sure to add the friction modifier additive to it and it hasn't come back since. good luck tho.
dee.

Quick Reply: Differential woes