2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

cylinder head milling

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 01:10 PM
RED DODGE 00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder head milling

Hi i am new to this forum so yea !! I have got a 2000 dakota 4.7 v8 with the distributor less ignition and i am having some problems .. My head had gotten warped and i took it to a machine shop and had them both milled down 8 thousands and put it all back together and the passenger side head has no compression while the divers has 120 psi .. and the dealer told me that i have an interterence engine while 3 other garages said i have a no interference engine !! i duno who to believe and dealer also told me you cannot mill them heads down so i also dont know who to believe !! If someone could please get back to me i would be very happy if you have any info you could give to me here is my e-mail ---- Hondacvcrcr2007@aol.com thank you very much !!!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cyl head

the head is probably cracked since you warped it. i dont see why the head couldnt be milled down, most dodge dealers will tell you anything to get you to spend more money or to get you to shut up. but yea, i dont remeber if the 4.7 heads are aluminum or not but either way if you have no compression it's probably cracked, just get another head and have a reputable shop install it for you.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
RED DODGE 00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milling cylinder head

i had it towed to a shop and they said when we put it back together that we have the passenger side head way off of timing but the drivers side is on. But with the milling thing i duno why they would say that when they make remanufactured heads for my vehicle ! And i was told the machine shop i went to is a very good place, we had work done there before and my heads i found out are aluminum .. thank you for your quick response !!

Quick Reply: cylinder head milling