2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New 5.9 R/T Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 AM
ozyran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As promised, the photos of my Dakota.

I'll post some better ones when I get the time to do it. I still need to troubleshoot the shaking problem that manifested itself today - I think it's the transmission, but I'm not 100% sure yet. The truck did it to my wife but not to me o.O (Christine anyone?)

And I have yet to get a mirror out and take a look down the bore of the TB. I'm guessing at some point I need to pop the cover off the rear diff (JUST ONE! WOO HOO! Sorry, I'm tired of doing all the maintenance associated with a 4x4. The Ram I had was my 2nd Ram 4x4 and the 5th 4x4 I've owned thus far.) and take a look inside.

I'm guessing the rattling from the front suspension is probably due to some loose linkages that absolutely MUST HAVE () the Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings. Come to think of it, I'm afraid to say that the whole truck might need those Energy Suspension bushings () and I'm beginning to fear that the rear diff is screaming for me to throw in a locking rear diff so it's a posi when I need it and ltd slip when I don't.

And dog gone it, I think the truck has an asthma problem that simply MUST be resolved with a supercharger!

Okay, okay, I don't need all those parts, but I do have a dream list! This truck is gonna be fun.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what was the shaking problem? Probably just the brakes or your losing a ball joint... btw nice truck but i must say the 5.9 in these little things rock..

Old 08-22-2008, 03:09 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There fun, and also mean at the same time. Alot of small problems pop up, and add up over time.

Water pump, PS Pump, Coolant Temp Sensor, O2s, TPS Sensor. Bt once its all fixed, then the modding comes.

I suggest cleaning up the bay so you have room to work, get rid of the stock intake and go with a CAI or Open Element, and then get rid of that shroud for the water and coolant and delete the clutch fan.. check my gallery it opens up alot of room, and best of all the passenger side is perrrfect for a SC. So much open room.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:44 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice R/T. I've dreamed of having one ever since 98 when I saw one for the first time in a magazine. In the past 10 years of living in this town, I can only remember ever seeing 3 up for sale and of course Im in no position to buy one and I probably never will be. Hell, by the time I ever get a chance to buy one they'll all be crushed or sitting in someone's garage for eternity as a collector's item. Anyway, I'm glad someone got to get one.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

nice,,,,,,enjoy it

Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 PM
ozyran
Professional

Originally Posted by User2006
I suggest cleaning up the bay so you have room to work, get rid of the stock intake and go with a CAI or Open Element, and then get rid of that shroud for the water and coolant and delete the clutch fan.. check my gallery it opens up alot of room, and best of all the passenger side is perrrfect for a SC. So much open room.
Well, doing that supercharger is gonna be difficult when I opt for the...yup, you guessed it...shaker hood!

I'd love to do the supercharger, but the shaker hood looks too cool for me to pass up. Of course, if I ever figure out how to do it, an Air Grabber setup could be a lot of fun. Roll up next to a late-model Civic, pop the hood scoop, and watch as the driver's adrenalin-filled veins blast the car at warp speed from the light. Then I smile and cruise by when I see the Civic pulled over by a cop.

Would you believe I've already had a couple of people try to show off against my Dak? Most notable was a lady in a Tahoe. She was right behind my wife and I on the road, then she changes lanes and pulls up next to us at a stoplight. The light turned green, and she got on the gas as if she thought it was a Christmas tree. It seems like a lot of people have that kind of reaction around this truck. If I'm going 45 in a 45 (yes, in the right-hand lane), everyone acts like I'm going too slow for them. I also noticed that way back when I had a 1989 Firebird with the words, "FORMULA 350" emblazoned in tall, 4" high white letters on the red paint job, people would try to go after that from time to time. Come to think of it, some people did that when I had my '99 Neon R/T as well.

Anyways, I agree that some things must be done. Any thoughts on an electric water pump after buying a high-output alternator, anyone?

Last edited by ozyran; 08-22-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

could always do tturbo

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM
ozyran
Professional

True. If I was feeling wacky I'd do this mod:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...-Dyno_7514.htm

*DISCLAIMER* I am NOT responsible for tacky music in the video I posted a link to LOL.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 PM
f0x672
Champion

hahaha about an 18 hp gain. sears and every other hardware store is sitting on a gold mine.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:28 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by f0x672
hahaha about an 18 hp gain. sears and every other hardware store is sitting on a gold mine.
Meh, it would still be to expensive for 18rwhp.

Renting a Circus midget that can withstand high temps and sit in the bay pulling the trigger on the blower.. would cost alot..

Quick Reply: New 5.9 R/T Owner