2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck troubles... again

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
VB_Spike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been there...

Hey,

I know what you're going through. I'm jumping through the same hoops. I found wiggling C2 at the pcm caused my vehicle to stall and thought my K&N was rubbing on it, so I took it all apart and cleaned it. Didn't help. Got towed to my local dealer. I told them it was most likely my PCM. Mechanic was 100% sure (!!!) it was low tranny fluid stalling me. Topped it up. I was skeptical and said "see you in a few hours." 6 Hours later I was getting my *** towed right back there again. Now he's 100% sure its a short from my stereo which was installed over 6 months ago and I've rechecked it all (i used to work at a stereo shop). I just called dodge about 2 hours ago and asked to have a different mechanic assigned to my vehicle. New guy called me 15 min ago saying he's pretty sure it's a PCM. Dealer priced it out at $988 out here. Blech. Right now I'm looking into remanufactured PCMs from www.allcomputerresources.com.

If anyone has had any dealings with them, please let me know. As I'm rather pissed off at dodge, after 2 tow jobs and would rather buy the PCM elsewhere at 1/5th the price.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM
ironcowboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i got it figured out!! It was those two small grounds that hook in with the big negative ground off to the right side of the engine.
I had to rewire there connectors when i installed the engine, and the crappy ($3 each!) ends from autozone went screwy.
What happend is the metal inside broke, so when the engine got hot, the plastic outer coating would expand pulling the metal apart and shutting my truck down, after it cooled it would reconnect and off i would go. Took me 10 min. to fix and i'm good to go. Cost nothing!! How we found it is we pulled on wires till we could hear the relays in the right side box clicking. and narrowed it down from there.
But my local yard charges $12 for a used PCM, you pull it your self!
I'd look into that if i were you, pick one (or 5) up, and if your problem goes away you know that was the issue, and i'd buy one off eBay for $200. If not you know its something else.

Quick Reply: Truck troubles... again