2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck troubles... again

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
ironcowboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Truck troubles... again

So some of you might remember i had a problem with me truck a few weeks ago. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...=169819&page=2

So after i rewired my electric fan in the front i had no issues, drove it 400 miles down and back to WV and it was great. So i get home, and i got my headers in the mail, and start installing them. Ended up busting a bolt in the block (never did get it out, spent a week and a half on it) so i put the headers on with out it in, and started her up. I went for a quick drive over to a friends house, and 5 miles down the road my truck died again! It showed the ABS and airbag light, also the check engine light came on, but went back off again, and the odometer would blink 4 times, and then go to saying "no bus". After about 15 min. it started back up and drove back home just fine. No display lights on or anything...
I was away for the rest of the week, but today when i got back i tested it again, drove it for a few minutes around the block, and parked it (still running) in front of the house. And in about 60 seconds it died. Same symptoms as before, ABS, airbag and no bus. This time it did not want to restart for me... I'll try again later.
So i dont really know what is up, when it starts it drives fine, engine is good and all. I think its just wiring issues... But i dont know. Maybe could the gas in the line heat up and turn to vapor, and not flow into the engine? Whats the best way to test to see if i'm getting spark? Could maybe be a bad wire somewhere?
If anyone can help me out that would be great.
Its a 99 dakota, V8 318.

~Samuel

Last edited by ironcowboy; 08-21-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 PM
ironcowboy
Rookie

The more i read the more i think it might be PCM related... Any input on that?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pcm

well, whenever i've heard about people getting NO BUS on the odometer it seems like it's always been pcm related. however, you should get that header fixed. it could cause codes to come up and also a big loss in performance.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no bolt in the header can warp the headers. Also, check all your grounds, there is one I had and If I hit a bump it would touch and kill the engine, no CE light though. But I would Check all the grounds, plugs to the comp and see what you can come up with.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 AM
ironcowboy
Rookie

The header bolt is not a huge issue right now, there is no leak from it at all, so for now were good. Plus in trying to get the bolt out i broke an easy out in the hole... So idk what to do about it now.

I do have some grounds that are funny, the two wires coming off the firewall on the left side. I cant seem to figure where they go? If someone could snap me a closeup photo of them that would be great...
But i dont see why that would be an issue, since it only seemed to do it when the engine bay got hot, and it started up again latter...

Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional

Is your truck a stick or an auto? Just curious cause the only thing I've experienced and read on here that cause the ABS and air bag light to come on is the rear wheel speed sensor. When mine went I had no driveability issues and mine's an auto. But my buddy has a stick, and when his went his truck would die sometimes. Honestly yours sounds like there's more to it so it might not have anything to do with that, but it may be part of it. Did you unhook anything doing the headers that didn't get hooked back up? Or maybe not hooked up completely? Any wires that you moved around or out of the way that maybe broke or caused a loose connection? Do you have a code reader to pull the code(s) when the CE light comes on?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM
ironcowboy
Rookie

Its auto, sorry.
It was happening before the header job, so i dont see why that would affect it. Only unplugged a few spark plug wires. And put them right back in.
I dont have a code reader, Maybe someday.
Like i said, it did it 3 times to me right in a row one day, and then was fine for a 400 mile trip, and now it does it 15 min after it starts up... Not sure if its throwing any codes... i should try to get someone with a reader to let me borrow it... Not sure if i'd make a trip to autozone...

Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional

I know it happened before, but was thinking loose wire and maybe it made good contact during your trip but got bumped during the header install. It does sound electrical though. Maybe your PCM is going out, like you thought. I would find a code reader if at all possible and keep it in the truck so when it happens again you can pull the codes real quick. Other than that I really don't know.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:15 AM
mwp71467

I had similar problems. Pcm would throw up codes,engine stallin and giving me problems. Turned out to be a wire at the pcm socket....or the pcm. Still havent figured out how to determine which but I ended up wiggling wires and then it happened to do it at the pcm sockets. Worth a try. Would have saved me a lot of money if I had done that sooner. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
ironcowboy
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys!
I have a friend who worked on dodges for a few years coming by tomorrow with his scanner, so will see what we will find.
He said the lights might just have came on because it stalled, he guessed it might be a fuel pump. Will see!

Quick Reply: Truck troubles... again