2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear break problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Brymac76
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear break problem.

Hey folks,

I've got an issue i hope someone can help me with.
1997, Dak, club cab, 3.9v6, Manual, 4x4.

For some reason..when it rains alot or is really damp/wet outside my rear break will lock up really easy. I dont have to put alot of pressure on the break pedal at all to make this happen.I have ABS all around, and it doesnt seem to do it any other time or with the Front wheels
Whats weird is that it seems go go a way after a few stops...although once it does happen..im very hesitant to break hard at all so that might be a reason why it stops..
Its at the shop right now...one of the mechanics there has a Dodge and says his does the same thing..and he has no reason why.

any one able to shed some light on this?
Thanks in advance,
bryan

Old 08-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Stuff105
Professional

i had the same problem with my jeep, i changed the brakes out and never had the problem again.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 PM
BobbyG

It is more than likely moisture related or possibly a wheel cylinder that's starting to seep a bit. I had the same thing happen on my 99 and it progressively got worse. I ended up doing a complete brake job replacing brakes, rotors, and drums front and rear. I also flushed the brake fluid and replaced with Valvoline synthetic and now the truck brakes like new.

Quick Reply: Rear break problem.