2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Seafoam question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:38 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam question.

Do you poor it in the brake vaccum line while the truck is running and keep it running? Also lol is it safe to use?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, just let it suck it down the brake booster line slowley. if its too fast, it will stall out.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Default Thanks big time.

I used it just in the tb last time so that may be why it doesnt run any better. I havent had a cleaning done in over 2 years lol.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:47 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Default Happy.

I'm really hoping this stuff will do good, i had a gumout injection cleaning done at walmart about 3 years ago if i am right so if my truck is trashed then seafoam could be my answer to a cheaper gas bill lol. I just recently replaced the tps on it cause i had rough idle sometimes and when i took it off it would rattle if you shook it which i don't think is normal. I just think its cool cause now my tires actually break loose and when im doing 70 my rpms are at about 1900 instead of 2300 like before the tps was replaced. So i would like to be able to feel like i have a new truck lol.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:46 PM
DAK99OTA
Amateur

I saw a video posted somewhere about how to do this. They said to pour 1/3 - 1/2 of the can in slowly as the vehicle is running. Then just dump a ton of that stuff in the brake vacuum line, enough to make it die. Wait 10 - 15 minutes and then start it up to a wonderful Seafoam cloud ( or nothing at all, like I got ) and just dump the rest in your gas tank.
My truck idles a heck of a lot better after I did it, but I am super bummed I didn't get the major cloud that everybody talks about.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
syllinx
Veteran
Default Smoke lol.

I had that before years ago when i tried the mopar cleaner on my neon. All my neighbors were laughing cause they thought i was stupid and messed up the engine but after the smoke stopped it would beat some of the 4 cylinder mustangs at the track lol. So i think the mopar might smoke more, but after i try the seafoam ill know which one smokes more lol.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

here is a REALLY good way that I noticed, pour the seafoam in the booster line, turn the truck over to pull the seafoam in. Once it is off let it sit for a bit. Don't forget to shut the truck right off though, kind of just flip the key.

Start her up it will smoke like a bitch. I smoked like a km with it last night.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got the smoke in my jeep didn't in my truck but i don't think i put enough if definitely helped smooth out the idle both times though

Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the longer you let it sit in there the better. I let mine sit for about an hour and I smoked out the neighborhood. It smoked for a good 10 minutes. Just make sure if your going to put some in the crank case that your going to be changing the oil very soon because it dillutes the oil, but it does break up any sludge in the pan.
The best way to do it goes as follows:
Put 1/3 in the gas, 1/3 in crank case, 1/3 in the vacuum line.
Let the truck sit for a good hour or so, then start it up and let the smoke show begin.
Drive around the block or whatever, then pull in your driveway and change the oil. That way any sludge that has been broken up wont just settle back down.

Quick Reply: Seafoam question.