2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stumbles and Dies at operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 PM
slackett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SilverCC

I replaced the Crank sensor today...70 bucks versus over a hundred for a pair of O2 sensors. Havent taken it out for a lengthy drive to see if there any inprovements...tomorrow I'll know. It sat in Oriellys parking lot all night (I bet they appreciated that) and I went to get it, it started right away and ran fine...figures, especially after it made such a fuss the day before.

By saying 'Upstream sensors', you do mean the ones between the heads and the catalytic converter right?

The guy at Oriellys cut me a deal on the crank sensor, he felt a bit bad for me. When the truck died in their parking lot, I had just left the doctors office and had my 5 year old daughter with me...and it was 95+ degrees outside. I think the list price for the sensor was 133'ish, I only paid 77 bucks for it.

I'm thinking that if this sensor fixes it for now, this truck will make its way into a trade soon. I don't intend to be spending 50, 60 70 bucks just chasing around a bad idle and crappy gas mileage. I"ve got 5 kids...aint got time for all that drame.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear this has been such a bad problem for you. Yes the upstream O2's are the ones between the exhaust manifolds and the cats. I think I'd still replace them and see how the truck drives. From reading here and other Dakota boards, 100K seems to be the time for O2 sensors to begin failing. The bad MPG and engine dying at operating temps could also indicate O2 sensor problems. Does the exhaust smell rich at all? Even if the air-fuel mix is OK, a "lazy" O2 will cause this same kind of trouble. It's just my 2 cents worth but 2 new O2 sensors cost a lot less than a new truck..

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Stumbles and Dies at operating temp