2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

torsion bar keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
bbcrack
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torsion bar keys

the previous owner has tightned the torsion bars on my truck. a friend told me that i can get torsion bar keys that are clocked differently then the factory pieces that raise the front of my truck even more with out changing the existing ride quality. does any1 kno about this?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: torsion bar keys

You can find them on eBay. The nice thing about the keys is that you can keep the torsion bars well within the OEM specs and still have the lift. The ride is a little nicer as well.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
bbcrack
Rookie

ok so if i by these and they are supposed to give me 2"lift with stock settings can i crank the bars as tight as i hav them now & get like 4" lifts? i hav 33s stufed under it now&the front of the truck is deffenintly higher then the rear...prob by about an inch

Old 03-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I suppose you could, but I would imagine they would be at an angle that is out of spec.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

I actually I must disagree Virused.

I have bought and installed, and removed and re-sold the torsion bar keys seen on ebay. ALL they basically do is allow you to get the same 2" of lift while having the adjustment nut in the same place. No matter how you adjust it, it is the same amount of tension twisting the torsion bar to raise the front end, doesnt matter what you do from the key/anchor.

These should be placed in the same trash bin as the TB spacer .

I think it was johnnymagnum that has done them as well and found the same thing as I did.

Just do the 8 turns to get 2" and be done.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Twiztid

I actually I must disagree Virused.

I have bought and installed, and removed and re-sold the torsion bar keys seen on ebay. ALL they basically do is allow you to get the same 2" of lift while having the adjustment nut in the same place. No matter how you adjust it, it is the same amount of tension twisting the torsion bar to raise the front end, doesnt matter what you do from the key/anchor.

These should be placed in the same trash bin as the TB spacer .

I think it was johnnymagnum that has done them as well and found the same thing as I did.

Just do the 8 turns to get 2" and be done.
Thank you for chiming in Twiztid! As I don't have the 4x4 model, I was simply giving the information that others had provided in the past. I know of a few members on here that were very satisfied with the keys, but since I have never installed a pair, I really can't give a first hand experience with them. Thank you for setting the record straight!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, the keys are a waste of money, I sold mine too. either way you can get 2" out of it, and cranking them doesnt cost you anything you dont want to go more then 8 turns (2") or it will put too much stress on the front end. just measure before and after to make sure its the same on both sides.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 AM
bbcrack
Rookie

[blockquote]so thes things wont give me any additional lift then i already have? the front of my truck is already higher then the rear. i clear 33s no problem.
[/blockquote]

Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you already have your T bars cranked. then just leave it. I went with a 2" block in the rear to lift it back up higher then the front.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Toefur
Professional

Im interested in doing this to my truck. Dosen't this affect the alignment?

Quick Reply: torsion bar keys