2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

truck wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 PM
cbassj8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck wobbles

My 2001 dakota wobbles at slow speeds. I really dont feel it in the steering mostly in the truck. I was wondering if it can be the ball jonts.
I replaced the tie rod ends as they were bad had an alignment and wheels balanced but it is still happening. The steering is still straight when i let the wheel go. When I brake it pulls to the right a bit.
Does anybody have an ideas what it can be?

Thanks for all your help

Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Could be ball joints or it could be the wheel bearings. Wheel bearings and the hub are one single assembly on Dakota's. Raise the front end and see if there is any movement of the wheel on the hub top to bottom and side to side. If there is any play in it or you find there is slop in the hub on the spindle, replace the assembly. About $105.00 per side from Napa or any other good parts store. Ususally there will be a loud hum from the front end when wheel bearings go bad.

Check the ball joints too. If there is any play or looseness there they need to be replaced. If you have a 4WD Dakota it might be covered in the ball joint recall. Check the recall thread above or call the Dodge dealer. If you have bad ball joints and are not in the recall be sure to replace yours with Moog ball joints so they can be lubricated like normal ball joints and last a lot longer. Mopar ball joints are sealed units. Check the stabilizer bar bushings and end links too.

None of these conditions are safe to drive the truck.

Jimmy

Old 09-09-2008, 09:53 AM
cbassj8
Default truck wobbles

thanks for the info im going to call and see if the ball joints are covered

Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
tntitans21399
Professional

I'll try to stat the most simplest thing, and that is how is your brakes and tires? If your brake pads have worn unevenly on the rotor, or if the rotor is warped then when the side it is warped could be causing the wobbles because when you go faster it is spinning faster so you don't once it as bad. Then check your tires because if they are old, then the sidewall could be weak and not holding up as good and causing the wobble.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM
cbassj8
Talking wobble

Thanks for your help TNTITANS I found the problem. It was the right rear tire it was wearing uneven causing the truck to wobble. I replaced it and now its driving fine.

Thanks again for your help everyone

Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad to know it's fixed. Surprised that the alignment shop didn't point out the bad tire to you.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: truck wobbles