2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow cam questions

ok, so i'm reposting this because the previous thread title i believe lead people to not read it and i didnt get much feedback.

so, this christmas is gonna be awesome. basically my parents said that because if i buy a few parts they will pay for installation as my christmas present. i can do headers, i can do an intake, i can do a TB, all in my garage. so naturally.... i'm looking at things that i am either incapable or too lazy to do in my garage. my first thought was a nice healthy cam. well, i've done a cam once before and that was a replacement on my 87 cherokee. that was a pain in the *****, so i cant imagine what this one would be like. sheesh. anyway, what are some healthy cam numbers to look at for my truck? stock heads, headders soon, TB soon, CAI, ported intake is here i'm just waiting to put it on. .512int/.512exh???? how does that sound (not accoutic sound i mean the numbers, duh)? also, whats the deal with the PCM, doesnt it freak out when you play with duration? how bout some links to a tuner or a new PCM or SOMETHING????????? IDK, you guys know better than me about lots of stuff so as always i'm all ears for your input. also, what are the stock cam numbers? just curious. holy jeebus this is a long thread.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 PM
f0x672
Champion

man, with all this power you're throwing at the engine, how strong is your transmission or is it still the stock unit?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

the trans is stock BUT its giving me problems 1-2 at WOT (nothing serious under "normal acceleration) so i'm gonna have it rebuilt around march (my birthday present hehe) so if i can ride it that long without it going nuclear on me (knock on wood) then thats the plan. a 2400 is going on then too. besides, i cant really beat on it during the winter anyway...

Old 09-23-2008, 12:06 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker

as far as cams go, I would really recommend a hughes engines cam if you're looking for performance, especially if cost isnt an issue. They have a number of cams that dont require a computer flash, however I think all of their cams require a spring change, which can be expensive, but its worth it in the end. They are also very knowledgeable when it comes to mopars and will be able to help you out with any questions you have. I was looking at doing a cam swap on my 3.9 but decided to save my money for a 5.9 swap later on.
www.hughesengines.com

Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5.9 swaps rule! I think your tranny will be fine, mines holding up and it's a 42re with a 5.9....

Quick Reply: cam questions