2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Mangled lug, stud on alloy-equipped 2000 Dakota--How to get off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
fastfeat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mangled lug, stud on alloy-equipped 2000 Dakota--How to get off?

I've got a 2000 Dakota with factory alloys and lug nuts (with shoulders) that has/had a lug nut rounded off at a cheapy used tire store. I made matters worse by chiseling down the side of the nut, forgetting about the shoulder of the nut holding the wheel securely. (Yeah, too much to drink when I started on this...) Basically, I've got only fragments of the nut remaining on the stud, and of course, the shoulder holding the wheel.

What is the best way to get the remaining portion of the nut out and the wheel off? I'd rather not sacrifice the rim, but if I have to, I will.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:24 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I JUST went through this same thing. The lugs on Dakotas are horribly cheap and break/ round off so easy. We have easy outs(i think that is what they are called) which are made for getting mangled nuts off. We used those and it still took a while to get off. Eventually there was barely anything left to the lug when it came off. We just kept playing with it all day lol. I had to get it off as I was making a long trip the next day( had i gotten a flat i would have been screwed). It was such a pain. The chrome cap to the lug came right off when I put a breaker bar to the lug. They have the worst lugs there are and should use a solid lug.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Dont heat it up though, as the aluminum rim will be ruined.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:21 PM
big.bryant
Champion

just shoot it with a shotgun. heard about a guy who did this and obviously got hurt pretty bad. but anyway i just wanted to make you smile because i honestly have no solutions for you... good luck!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:22 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha was it the crappy lugs with the crappy cap that breaks off then its just a plain old nut? u had this problem the first time i tried to get mine off i was like what the hell is this cheap *** ****. i agree with big.bryant tho shotgun or dynamite will do the job!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

is the lug nut the problem or the lug stud?
if the stud is shot as well id say,
use an air chisel, split the lug in half, then in 1/4s, should break the lug off at or near the base,also it should break the lug nut shoulders, allowing you to get the wheel off, you will need to replace the stud obviously. but you should be able to keep your rim,

and Bpark8824, its alloy, not aluminum, even so heat will damage it.

if you damage your wheel i will be selling 2 of my alloys soon enough

Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
haha was it the crappy lugs with the crappy cap that breaks off then its just a plain old nut? u had this problem the first time i tried to get mine off i was like what the hell is this cheap *** ****. i agree with big.bryant tho shotgun or dynamite will do the job!
Yeah those would be the ones...

Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

uhh.. you could just cut it out from the rear and replace the stud, since you will more then likley have to anyways.. this saves your rim, time and a headace

Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 PM
bpark8824
Champion

I just kept messing with mine for a while and eventually it came off. If the stud is ruined then year i guess you might as well cut it, but if not just keep messing with it. Eventually it will come free.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
dohertyr

I cut a v out of mine with a fein tool and then put some blaster in there and used a large screwdricer and hammer and wacked it right off. careful of the threads. richie

Quick Reply: Mangled lug, stud on alloy-equipped 2000 Dakota--How to get off?