2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

code: 0442 EVAP leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

napa or any auto parts store, cut the new hoses to length as the old ones

Old 11-29-2008, 10:41 AM
YurysFriend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You can fix a P0442 code yourself with a little effort

Twice now my 2002 Dakota has generated the P0442 code. Both times I first replaced the gas cap with a cap from the dealer. This is cheap and easy. Each time it was below freezing and crawling under the truck to inspect the rubber emission hoses wasn't my first choice. Unfortunately, in both cases, the gas cap wasn't the problem. So, under the truck I went. Now, read the reply from 00DakR/T in the discussion thread above. I fully agree.

Each time this happened to me, I found a single small crack in one of the rubber hoses at the charcoal canister. I will attach a photo for clarity. This photo shows how small of a crack you are looking for. This crack caused a small leak which was detected by the PCM during the pressure test cycle. I cut off the bad end of the hose just to buy time until I get a new replacement hose.

The tools you need to fully inspect the Evap Emissions System are a flashlight and a $5 inspection mirror (and maybe a prayer that the leak is not on top of the gas tank). Also, reading this article and looking at the diagram under the hood fully taught me how the system works. I am a man of science and can fix most anything once I understand how it works. So can you. This article was very useful. In all honesty, the 2002 factory service manual was not helpful at all.

http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...58/article.pdf

On my 2002 Dakota, the canister is mounted on the frame rail under the drivers door. The evap pump is mounted under the power distrubution area. The pump is very hard to see and difficult to get at. The inspection mirror is a must! The solenoid is mounted beside the battery. The air filter for the pump doesn't impact this discussion.

Look all the way around each hose. It seems like the crack is always in the hardest to see place. Remove any tape that may be over the rubber hose at the connection area. Both of my leaks were under some sort of tape that was put on at the factory. Tape will not seal a leak!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2008_11280001.jpg (15.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by YurysFriend; 11-29-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:15 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did this cause the truck to run poorly? My truck sometimes will bog down at slower speeds and even pop once or twice maybe. Seems to be okay at highway speeds but slower speeds through town is where I notice the problem the most.

Do you think this EVAP leak could cause that??

Old 11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
YurysFriend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say that I noticed any difference in either the performance or the fuel mileage in the vehicle when the Check Engine light was on because of the P0442 code. I do not believe a leak this small at the charcoal canister could noticeably effect the engine performance as you explain. But, I am not a auto mechanic either. A real mechanic may have to reply on this question.

One thing I did do when I was having this problem was check the engine vacuum. It was still very high. This pleased me as my 4.7 V8 now has over 100K miles on it.

If I were you, I would want to know the engine vacuum and fuel pressure. Go to an automitive parts store such as AutoZone and they may check this for you for free.

Good luck. Hey, I know what its like to be broke and in college. I did it twice in my life (so far). I'm gone ....

Quick Reply: code: 0442 EVAP leak