2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CAI just came in, 2 quick questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 PM
kleraudio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI just came in, 2 quick questions!

Hey guys, me again with another CAI question! I just got it in the mail today, but it came late so Im gonna attempt to install it tomorrow.

There is a hole in the pipe with a grommet, it says in the directions to put the IAT in there. First off, what does the IAT look like, and where can it be located on an 04 Dakota 3.7L??

Second, this is a BOMZ CAI, from ebay and it came with 2 brackets, one longer one, about 6" and a smaller "L" shaped bracket. What the heck are these used for? Is it to secure the actual filter to the frame of the truck?

Thanks alot guys, I know this is supposed to be an easy install, but I wanna make sure all my bases are covered here.

Thanks a ton!

Jim

Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its cold where you are I would just plug that hole for the IAT till it gets warm out. when it is relocated too there it tricks the computer into thinking its getting colder air than it really is and helps with performance supposedly when its warm out but i've heard it makes performance worse when its cold out. and the brackets could be to hold the piping up...not sure where they mount though maybe some pics if your really confused

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
kleraudio
Professional

Thanks for the help man, so where is this IAT sensor now?? Putting it in the air intake is considered "relocating" it?? Is it straightforward or will I need like wire and a solder gun?

I live in Tampa, so its pretty much warm year round..

Thanks again dude!

Jim

Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is from the sticky at the top of the gen 2 forum towards the bottom of the left column is one that says how to relocate the IAT...not exactly sure which one it is since I've never messed with it but i hope this helps you out a little, im sure if you look around on here or another forum you will find plenty on it. http://www.v8performance.com/tipsand...tm#IATrelocate

Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 PM
kleraudio
Professional

Sweet man, nice link, but do I have to "relocate" the IAT just for an intake system?

And where is it located now on the 3.7L?

Thanks alot man!
Jim

Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kleraudio
Sweet man, nice link, but do I have to "relocate" the IAT just for an intake system?

And where is it located now on the 3.7L?

Thanks alot man!
Jim
you dont HAVE to do it, and its a sensor located on the Intake Manifold. Exact Location i have no idea.

Grab one of those books from autozone that tell you everything about your truck. They are very helpful..

Old 10-28-2008, 08:57 AM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a 3.7 it should be in the air box that connects directly to the throttle body. The thing that usually says "3.7L". It will probably be on the driver's side of that box, and it is in a rubber grommet and you should be able to just pull it out.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM
kleraudio
Professional

Thanks for the tips guys, going over to my parents house to use their garage. Cant wait to get this puppy installed!

Jim

Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM
big.bryant
Champion

let us know how it goes and don't hesitate to ask for help...

Quick Reply: CAI just came in, 2 quick questions!