2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the factory set put on these trucks, the R/Ts, were completely sloppy. poor dry traction, wet traction was a different story. just merging on a highway i skidded out of control, i still have the damaged fender to prove so. extremely poor snow traction, even in 4wd. the one kid i go to school with swears by them,. they maybe great on another truck/suv, but from my own personal experience (with a dakota), what complete sh*t.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rangler+RT%2FS

granted they aren't the winter tires but still same tire family, most likely same rubber compound as well.

Last edited by f0x672; 11-12-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so does ne1 else got any new info on this?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Make sure you know what your local laws are with studded tires, in some areas they are illegal year round, and sometimes you can only have them from a certain date to another date.

Those tires will fit on your rims just fine.

Bryant: Wranglers are a horrible tire, just ask any of the 3rd generation dakota guys. Horrible wet traction and horrible off road. When my sister had her 06 dak, it would rain and I would be sliding all over the place...

Fox: Yeah, the Destination M/T's rock! 9,000 miles on mine and they still look brand new, not to mention the badass and handling factor

Old 11-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Make sure you know what your local laws are with studded tires, in some areas they are illegal year round, and sometimes you can only have them from a certain date to another date.

Those tires will fit on your rims just fine.
ok...thanks

Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM
big.bryant
Champion

maybe when mine get worn out i will just have to upgrade then... ya i have the goodyear wrangler AT/S which came on my truck and other than these i really don't have a whole bunch of information as to what is good and what isn't. thank guys.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:09 PM
jlampitt
Professional

If you want a good, inexpensive winter tire, you have to consider these...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rtnum=17SR5FWF

These tires got me over Vail pass and back for three winter seasons... in a two-wheel drive truck!!! Now I have my Dakota and I just put a set of them on not two days ago. If they hooked up with a two-wheel drive truck, I can't wait to see what they do on a 4x4.

Quick Reply: Winter tires