2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

noise when on the gas..

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 AM
dualdakota01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool noise when on the gas..

hey all hope winter is treat'n yah alright so far. i have a little annoying problem. when i drive and hit around 50km i get a sound similar to big tires or a humming (higher pitch) sound but only ONLY when my foot is on the gas. if i let up off and coast it goes away. and then when i hit the gas again it starts.. then off and so on as i apply on and off the gas. its not very loud as i say like tire sound so if the radio is on i can't hear it hardly unless i really listen... (thank god for radio) lol.
anyway anyone had this issue.? im assuming its whatever component kicks in after i apply the gas pedal. then when i release it stops make'n the noise so maybe a bearing or a change in front diff fluid? could that be it? sounds like its comming from right under the cab so im assuming tranny or diff?

any help is always apreciated.
ttyl
dee
p.s ive had the truck since last march and its always been the same sound. never worse and never better unfortunatly.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 AM
kjun
Professional

U-joint. Exactly what I had on my 2000 Durango. Noise on accel and stop on coast....

Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 AM
spencea15
Record Breaker

Do you have a limited slip in the rear? I bet it is your rear differential.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 PM
metalsrfr
Veteran

I would go get youre rearend looked at mine does it and I i know that is the problem , I just havent had the time to get it fixed but that is normally the ring and pinion .

Old 11-29-2008, 12:57 PM
dualdakota01
Professional

thanks for the response. i think the u-joint one is probably the issue then.. good start anyway. as far as my rear diff i had it inspected last spring and the noise was the same. the rear diff was in great shape and i changed the fluid anyway which got rid of some other noises while turning. (mopar friction modifier worked great for that) but this sound is def up furthur front i believe so.

is it hard to change a u-joint. ?

Old 11-29-2008, 02:47 PM
wingerak92
Captain

Not at all. I did them in my 90 Dak. If you ahve a manual and a hammer its easy

Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 PM
metalsrfr
Veteran

when does the whining sound start it @ around 35 MPH?

Old 11-29-2008, 04:47 PM
dualdakota01
Professional

yes right around there is when it usually starts as long as foot is on the gas. again it doesn't happen when coasting no gas. but just when apply on the gas pedal.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:50 PM
metalsrfr
Veteran

thats exactly what mine is doing now and its the ring and pinion , also the other noises you had when turning was it like a popping noise ?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:26 PM
dualdakota01
Professional

hmm naw it wasn't a poping. just made a hum like grind type noise while turning into a parking space.. basically going slow. so we changed the rear fluid and its been great ever since not a peep from the rear end on that. we inspected the rear diff as well while the pumpkin was open but the gears and teeth were all in great condidtion with hardly any metal on the magnet in there. but yah def sounds furthur up from the back just under were the front cab is so. it hasn't gott'n worse at all tho so ill be hold'n out till the summer probably unless it shows signs of getting worse.
those are good thoughts tho. im not ruleing out rack and pinion yet tho. maybe im not hearing where its comming from exactly right.. but ill have a look into it more in the spring by my mechanic. see whats up hopefully. those seem like the best places to start tho.

Last edited by dualdakota01; 11-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply: noise when on the gas..