2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power window busted due to freezup

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 PM
gjordahl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power window busted due to freezup

Brothas,

My 2003 Dakota driver window froze. Next day was a bit warmer, but not warm enough apparently. Pushed the button and something snapped. Took the door panel off and a plastic piece was in the bottom of the door. Took it to a shop and they said I need an actuator, which only comes with the motor. $218 repair.

Since I froze my *** off just cheking it out, should I pay the $218 or am I 5 mintues from fixing it since I have the door panel off?

Thanks,

Gary

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

To fix it you will have to replace the window regulator assembly. It isn't hard and the part should only cost around $100 or maybe less, maybe a little more. All you have to do is unbolt the window from the top regulator channel, pull it up into the window openeing and duct tape it in place. Then remove the 5 or 6 nuts holding the old regulator in place, unplug the motor and work the regulator out of the access hole in the door cavity. Work the new one into the door, bolt it in place and lower the window down gently into the upper track and bolt it back in place. Don't torque the nuts too tight so you don't crack the glass. Plug in the motor and it should work fine after that.

Regulator failure is a pretty common problem on Dodges, Jeeps and Chryslers. It's easy to fix and you can save a lot of money by doing it yourself.

Jimmy

Old 12-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Sohcvtec1995
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

junk yards will have the regulator. i got mine from a durango down here in florida complete with motor and all for 45 bucks. but be prepared to spend up to 100.. its a simple install if you know what your doing..

Quick Reply: Power window busted due to freezup