2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Coil spring height specs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:00 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Coil spring height specs?

I think the front springs on my 2001 might be worn out because I am getting a really hard bumpy ride now. Even on smooth roads it's rough. I got new tires and shocks, and replaced both outside tie rod ends but it still is pretty bumpy.

I can't find the specs for the height measurements anywhere. I got 5 inches on both sides, from the center of the top of the tire to the bottom of the fenderwell but don't know if that's the correct height so I can't tell if the springs are shot. I have 99,000 miles on my truck and it has the original springs. If anyone knows the specs or has any ideas on the bumpy ride problem, I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Jimmy

Old 12-20-2008, 04:59 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shocks or springs,
at 99k you should do them anyways

Old 12-20-2008, 11:38 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it's just a problem of rough bumpy roads. We don't exactly have the best roads around here, but some are in better shape and smoother than others. On some roads it rides smooth and easy (for an 8 year old pickup truck) and others it's a bit more bumpy and rough ride. I noticed other trucks and cars too bouncing in the same spots as I did when I was following them in traffic yesterday and again today.

The truck rides pretty stiff anyway on these new Reflex shocks and I just got a set of new Firestone Destination LE tires 2 days ago. I think maybe they have softened up a little or something. It's not quite as stiff a ride as it was yesterday. They seem to be a pretty good tire and I got a great deal on them.

The truck has a very truck-like ride to it. I think the springs are just fine and I'm going to leave well enough alone. I think this is just a bad case of my own misconceptions about ride quality.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Coil spring height specs?