2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

factory electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
lamchop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory electric fan

with all this talk about electric fans i was wondering if this is normal, I am not shore if all the years have this same setup but i have a clutch fan and an electric fan. You can tell when my electric fan goes on, I would feel the steering vibrate and if i was on the brakes i would feel the pedal vibrate also.
How often should the fan go on sitting in traffic? I was never able to tell with my other cars when the fan came on, just wondering if the truck is acting like other trucks or if I need to look into fixing or changing something.

Thanks for your help

Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm sounds like something could be wrong i dont ever experience that and i'm running just the electric fan i ditched the clutch fan now that its cooler out. i think the e fan comes on when you have the ac or heat on and when it gets above 220. not sure on the temp tho but its somewhere around there. you might have a broken or loose bracket or something thats causing it to vibrate.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 AM
lamchop
Rookie

so you are saying that you don't feel anything when your electric fan goes on?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:49 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing that i've ever noticed really...sometimes i wonder if it even works

Old 10-16-2008, 02:21 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

sounds like you a have a prob with the clutch before the electric... using your belt power or something lol.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my electric fan pops on sitting in traffic at about 195 or 200 or so. My truck never gets to 220 sitting in traffic.

I also have a 180 thermostat though, but i also deleted my Clutch Fan and im running the stock ele fan and in the summer it works great even without the clutch.. i can idle all day in traffic.

as for feeling it kick in? No not really, but i do hear it click on.. loud buzzing noise lol.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:07 PM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah i have never noticed my steering shaking, and only notice my clutch fan is on when i first turn my truck on. after about 5 minutes or a mile or so it turns off. i have noticed my electric fan turning on when i put on my AC tho

Old 10-17-2008, 11:26 PM
lamchop
Rookie

just to update you guys, after talking to you i decided that there must be something wrong with my truck so i took a look, guest what i found? there are three mounting points for the electric fan, one on one side and two on the other, the side that has two, one of the mounting point was broken off, that is why i have the shacking, i siptie it back on for know. i guest i have to look for another fan, is there anybody saleing one or know of a place were i can get one cheap? thanks

Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM
lamchop
Rookie

i went and got one off ebay for $100. aftermarket. i just installed it and everything is good, no shakes at all, even with the A/C on. thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: factory electric fan