2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
mgilorma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

sorry for the long post, any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have a 99 dakota 4x4 with the 5.2 L and about 88,000 miles (automatic transmission). At inspection time, it was brought to my attention that the transmission was leaking, the shop told me it was prob a front pump seal. Shortly thereafter I noticed that the first time I would drive my truck each day, the shift between 2nd and third would "flare up" (like go up another 500 rpms before shifting), but only the first time it would shift between these gears. So I decided to bite the bullet and get it worked on because I didn't want to make matters worse by waitng.

So my shop takes out the tranny and send it to a rebuild shop, where the tanny shop recommends a rebuild because the clutches are pretty much worn out. $1900 and two days later I get my truck back.

I've never had a tranny rebuilt, but right now it is back in the shop because of the following:

1. When accelerating slowly, it seems like the truck is shifting at a higher rpm then it should be, because it will just hang out at 2000 rpms and up where it feels like it should have shifted around 1500? Not sure on this because I never really paid attention before, but I noticed a change the first time i drove my truck with the rebuilt tranny.

2. The shift between 2nd and third now is very firm, almost too firm. This is only noticible when accelerating slowly, if I get on it to the point where the truck is shifting around 2500, everything is much smoother.

Am I just paranoid or do these sound like issues to be worried about?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt say you're paranoid, it seems like anyone who gets a trans rebuilt ends up back at the shop at least once. these things take some tweaking, but i wouldnt pay them anymore.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

TV cable might just need to be adjusted.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

def the tv cable, sounds like they have put a shift kit in too.

TV cable will make it do that, I played with mine until I found a spot I was happy were it shifted, it supposed to be within a certain spec but who knows lol. The best way I heard by far is have someone push the pedal in the cab, and have someone watch the cable down by the tranny, until you see it at full on the tranny. Chances are the pedal won't reach full or the pedal or pushing the distance half way or something. Make the two match up.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:25 PM
mgilorma

well, they adjusted the TV cable, so hoepfully everything is good to go. I'll update later tonight after I pick my truck up.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM
bpark8824
Champion

I had the same problem in my 3.9. That was before I had it rebuilt though. They found a snap ring or something in the pan it somethings were messed up in there. But once they put a rebuilt one in, it was fine.

Im not sure of the problem really but I had the same problem before mine was rebuilt.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM
big.bryant
Champion

prpbably just the fact taht all the internals on the tranny are new/rebuilt. it will need some time to break in and get adjusted...

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM
f0x672
Champion

when my auto was rebuilt, the TV cable had to be adjusted. hm.. a transmission with all new internals shouldnt cause any trouble at all. yeah bearings have to work their own wear pattern in their races and the clutch packs have to wear a bit to perform ideal shifting, but that shouldnt give him shifting issues.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just like everyone else said sounds like the tv cable and i was thinkin what varsis said as in that they might have put a shift kit in it too you should ask them about that, it will cause it to shift harder but is actually better on the transmission dont ask me how lol but talking to friends that know alot about autos and shift kits they say its better

Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
mgilorma

happy to report that everything is great! The TV cable adjustment took care of everything. It now shifts where I would expect it to and shifts smoothly.

thanks for everybody's input!

Quick Reply: transmission problems