2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

squeeellll

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Spidamantnmc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeellll

so all the sudden theres this sqealing under my hood...spray belt dressing..nothing..

so i take it to a shop and my tensioner and pulley were shaking bad....so i bought the part...took it home spent an hour and a half doing this..put it back together...started her up..

and theres the f**king squeal. granted my tensioner looks much better so im not mad about replacing it...what im mad about is the sound still there

it goes with the engine rpms....loud at idle...and as i hit the gas it gets louder and louder...i think its either the belt or another pulley bearing.....any ideas?

its parked until i figure it out

Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get some pb blaster and hit the pulleys. the suspect should quiet up or at least change its tone of soundcould be your idler. i have a grinding/squeal time to time. turns out my a/c compressor pulley is shot. o well. whats the condition of your belt?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Spidamantnmc
Professional

the belt looks nice...but i bought it from a warmer climate area now its somewhere where the windows freeze overnight so it could just the change messed it up

Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Spidamantnmc
Professional

update* the noise makes me want to kill myself.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 AM
00DakR/T
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to try taking the belt off first to make sure its an accessory making the noise. If it does still squeal, try turning each pulley by hand. If an idler or alternator bearing has gone out it should feel rough turning it.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
mgilorma

I had the same problem after I did a tune up to my truck that included a new belt and tensioner assembly (old one was frozen solid). Noticed the same squeel right away, while it was in the shop the guys said the new tensioner pulley was bad. So I replaced it again and still the same squeak.

sprayed everything with wd40, belt, all pulleys, nothing made it go away. I took off the belt and checked each pulley individually, nothing. I had to take my truck back into the shop because the tranny was just rebuilt and they needed to readjust the tv cable, so I asked them to take a look at the sqeaking noise because it was driving me crazy.

Turns out there was "gunk" on some of the pulleys and the belt. The guy said he cleaned up the pulleys and belt and the sound went away. So now my truck doesn't make me want to drive it over a cliff.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

he thats what you get for planting you foot on the floor every time the light turns green

but in all seriousness try cleaning your pullies and turning them by hand to see if that brings issue out

Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Spidamantnmc
Professional

haha i dont! i push it about half way...god darnit that fan shroud is a son of a b to get back on

thanks for the help guys ill check it out today

Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Spidamantnmc
Professional

well i went dirtbike riding to day....took my other truck...after getting drunk and riding around for like 5 hours i came back as was like...F it im gonna drive it...welp slowly the noise started going away and now its completely gone....maybe i used to much belt dressing and its finally drying up

Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 AM
mgilorma

ITS BAAAAACK!!!!

So I noticed that my belt wasn't riding right on the AC condenser, so I fixed that and the squeel is back. So I cleaned the pulleys and belt and that took care of the noise for a while, but while I had the belt off I spun all the pulleys and noticed that the alternator was making some noise, so I actually think that might be the problem this time. Since I am tired of my truck sounding like a piece, I'm going to go out and buy a new alternator and belt today and change them after work and see what happens.

I'll tell you what, for a truck that is only 10 years old with less than 100k miles this thing has really been keeping me busy lately.