2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heater not blowing hot enough, need some hints.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM
matj1990
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but now its squealing around 1500 rpm to 2000 any ideas what this might be?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:18 PM
2daks
Professional

Originally Posted by sp1446
Also, since you brought it up...LOL...getting the fan off. Any tips to make this easier??

Thanks!
I'll admit I was in a bit of a hurry so with I took it, still on the pump, to my local mechanic. He had the correct tool and popped it off in about a minute. Flipped him a $10 for lunch and was on my way.
It is a reverse thread, so righty loosy, lefty tighty. I had success on a old Ford Bronco II with making a tool out of an old hack saw frame, drilled a couple holes to hold the old pump, bolted it to the frame and a got a BFR ( Big F'n wrench).
Another option would be if any of your local parts stores have a lone a tool program......

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
2daks
Professional

Originally Posted by matj1990
but now its squealing around 1500 rpm to 2000 any ideas what this might be?
Is it the belt or the pump? If its the belt it may just be a little grease on something on it.
If it's the pump it could be just a break in thing or a bad pump. Was it a remanufactured pump? Keep an ear out and if it gets worse I'd suspect a bad pump. Save your receipts because it may go.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
matj1990
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2daks
Is it the belt or the pump? If its the belt it may just be a little grease on something on it.
If it's the pump it could be just a break in thing or a bad pump. Was it a remanufactured pump? Keep an ear out and if it gets worse I'd suspect a bad pump. Save your receipts because it may go.
it was remanufatctured all i could afford on short notice lol the belt had coolant on it i no that the whole front of the engine did thats how i notice it was bad i could smell sweet when i drove home was kinda nice like an air freshner

Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could always try a new belt. Then you'd know for sure which it was.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 PM
2daks
Professional

Originally Posted by matj1990
the belt had coolant on it i no that the whole front of the engine did thats how i notice it was bad i could smell sweet when i drove home was kinda nice like an air freshner
Kind of nice when it's an easy diagnosis, doesn't make it any easier to fix but easy to figure out whats wrong. Cooked coolant is kind of a nice smell.
Hope its all worked out now.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
sp1446
Default Problem solved

In my original post, the garage indicated that it was the water pump causing my luke warm heat. I thought they were nuts but changed the water pump anyway. While doing so, I discovered that there was a coolant leak coming from between the block and the timing chain cover gasket. I changed that gasket as well. My truck had also been using about a quart of oil per 2500 miles and couldn't figure out where it was going. I found out that there was a service bulletin out for the intake manifold/plenum gasket. So, I went ahead and changed that too. Two days of work and solved two out of three issues...lol, still just luke warm heat. I took the truck back to the shop this morning and told them to do what I wanted done in the first place, power flush the heater core. They did just that and what do you know...I have strong heat again!!

I don't feel so bad doing all the work I did because I know that my oil consumption problem is solved and so is the coolant leak. A quick check to see if a flush will cure your issue; start your truck and get it to operating temperature. There are two coolant lines that run to the firewall for the heater core. Feel each one of those hoses at approximately their mid point. If one is hot and the other is cool, there is a blockage in the heater core. Take it to someone you trust and have them perform a power flush of the cooling system. The mechanic said there was a lot of gook that came out of mine.

Good luck and hope this helped.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Heater not blowing hot enough, need some hints.