2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota: Scrap It or Not To Scrap It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 PM
2daks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the post "heater not blowing hot enough" theres some good info in there on how to determine if the heater core is at fault by reading tempatures off the hoses. Could be a water pump. I'd back flush the core if its not leaking, save some bucks to get the AC fixed. My mechanic was set on replacing it too. I trust him like, you do yours, but sometimes they just get into the "replace the part" mode.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM
BInge15

Hey 2daks,

I actually did read that thread before. The funny thing is, I had the thermostat and water pump changed around the same time. It blew out heat the best it ever has. Then, not long after, it went back to usual. It's been that way since. I've grown to get used to it.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
matj1990
Veteran

well for summer time u always have dual right and left side air conditioning i wouldnt bother fixing it myn doesnt even have it

Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM
2daks
Professional

You probably disturbed all the gunk in the coolant system long enough to let it work then it all settled back in the fine tubing and bends of the heater core. A complete back flush with a flushing agent and complete change of coolant may be just what the doctor ordered. Prestone and the others make a kit and it's not hard to do, take you around an hour or so. I'd do it myself as you never know how much someone else would care about getting it really cleaned out. Flush it until it runs completely clear,which is the object of the whole execise.If the heater core is not leaking the only other thing that can go wrong is a blockage, after all its only a metal pipe all bent into a small box shape that allows hot coolant to go thru it. Your probably gambling 40-50 bucks max against whatever your replacement cost would be for the core.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahh screw it!

Just scrap it and give me your Center Console, Dash Bezal, Tailgate, and Window Motors!

Muahah, j/k.

But if you do decide.. i got first dibs..!

ok back to topic.

2dak is dead on. I didnt even think of that, if its not leaking im pretty sure its just clogged gunk.

Have you ever put those little beads in your system to try to seal any holes? Is so those like to clog it real good, and your drain tube...

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota: Scrap It or Not To Scrap It?