2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4x4 switch not working '02 Dakota

Old 03-11-2015, 12:46 PM
EricBing
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meng
I know this thread is several years old, but I just bought a 2002 Dakota 4.7L, and am having the same issues. I followed the instruction in the post (which is fantastic and well detailed), I have the dash trim piece removed so I can see the TCCM module, but it's unclear to me how to actually remove it. It looks to be mounted to the inside of the dash behind the air vent hole. Is there some trick to removing it without continuing to take the dash apart? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
the TCCM is mounted on the side of steering column you can get at it from underneath pain in the rear but it can be done best of luck i had to replace mine as well

Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Meng
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EricBing
the TCCM is mounted on the side of steering column you can get at it from underneath pain in the rear but it can be done best of luck i had to replace mine as well
Thanks for the response Eric. My issue ended up being a simple break in the wires under my vehicle which connected the TCCM to the transfer case 4wd motor (not sure what the actual name is for that component). I repaired the wires, and my 4wd capability was restored.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:35 PM
N.Y.X.

Helpful thread!!

Last edited by N.Y.X.; 05-27-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Gino Martin

OK So I am experinging the same problem with my 01 Dakota, the Service 4WD is on, my mechanic is able to put the truck in 2/4HI/4LO using his Snap On scanner thru the OBD Port,only code is "mode switch????", he changed both TCCM and switch..any ideas? I do not think it's anything under the truck..

Old 01-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Gino Martin

"bump"

Old 11-21-2022, 03:03 PM
SvenMjolnir
Default DVM voltage reading at the transfer case motor?

Hello,

Have removed the transfer case motor connector from my '01 Dakota. I don't see any voltage across the two pins when my son switches from 2wd to 4wd. I know this is a PWM signal to the transfer case
​​​motor-would I be able to see the drive voltage with a DMM or does the motor load have to be present? Or should I just put an oscilloscope on it?

George

Old 11-21-2022, 03:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,167 Likes on 2,921 Posts

I would expect that you should see some voltage there when the switch was moved...... regardless of if it was plugged in or not.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:50 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I had one of these problems a couple years ago, my 4x4 light not luminating... but my truck does go into 4 wheel so I didn't look into it any farther.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:54 PM
SvenMjolnir
Default 2WD, 4WD Indicators work, but shift transfer case intermittently ( only when warm )

Switch indicators work. If I have driven the truck 20-30 minutes, the indicator will switch from 2WD to 4WD and engage the front axle. So I think the TCCM is working ( indicators and shift motor ). I'm thinking the problem is the shift motor. I pulled the TCCM from under the dash and demated the motor connector from the TCCM. Am seeing continuity for both wires down at the shift motor connector-so the motor wires are good! When it's warm the 4WD works. I wanted to troubleshoot the electronics first before pulling the front drive shaft and removing the shift motor module on the transfer case . The truck has 210,000 miles.

George

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 switch not working '02 Dakota