2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

trying to understand TB sizes

Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts
Default trying to understand TB sizes

(i know, hard hashed topic..it needs it's very own sticky almost)

Looking at another forum, it says that the 3.9 V6 is 48mm and the V8's are 50mm, with the venturi's being 2mm smaller for the torque band. But that the V6 manifold is only 46mm??

If that's right...i don't see the effectiveness of a V8 TB on V6? Unless you pull the whole thing off the block and take the die grinder to the intake as well?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, its still less restriction, whats gonna happen is that the map sensor will read more incoming air...so it'll add more fuel.
the biggest impact is throttle response

Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by batman13
well, its still less restriction, whats gonna happen is that the map sensor will read more incoming air...so it'll add more fuel.
the biggest impact is throttle response
okay

what kind of material thickness is there on the intake. Like, could it be bored out via die ginder (off the motor of course, to contain metal shavings) on the work bench and only have to replace the gaskets, or is there next to no removable material?

guess to paraphrase, could it be done to where it's basically the stock V8 TB, with that 2mm overall gain, then take those 2mm off the intake as well, so it's a matched 48mm? Instead of 50mm blades, 48mm vanturi, and 46mm manifold? I'd want to keep that venturi to salvage some bottom end

Last edited by magnethead; 02-26-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know mine has tons of stuff that can be ground off, i have a ported/polished 4.0 TB on my 2.5, i can take plenty off my intake,

Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they have plenty of material that's able to be taken off. i opened a stock V8 to 50~51mm with just a dremmel and some wire bits and sandpaper. DO NOT open up the TB around the blades as it will freak out the IAC and cause a surging and erratic idle. IF I WERE YOU i would just get a V8 TB and do the home made P&P job like i did. it really smoothed out my idle and gave me better throttle response.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by rtdakota2001
they have plenty of material that's able to be taken off. i opened a stock V8 to 50~51mm with just a dremmel and some wire bits and sandpaper. DO NOT open up the TB around the blades as it will freak out the IAC and cause a surging and erratic idle. IF I WERE YOU i would just get a V8 TB and do the home made P&P job like i did. it really smoothed out my idle and gave me better throttle response.

That's what i plan to do. Grab the V8 TB and cable, then see if i can mock up some sort of CAI that goes behind the lower bumper and uses the lower inlets. Maybe down the road pull the intake manifold off the block, and take the die grinder to it. I would need to scrape off the old gaskets going to the cyl heads, correct? Or is a semi-solid sealer put there instead?

I just want to throw a stock V8 TB on it- not ported out or anything- and down the road, open up the extra 2 mm's on the intake manifold. Because i want to keep the venturi effect so there's still some low-end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trying to understand TB sizes