2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need advice on a cat

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Jareski
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on a cat

So one evening while I was on the way home from work, I heard an unnerving rattling sound coming from somewhere under my truck.

"Okay, I said, I'll get home, park it get under and tighten the muffler clamp." (Which is what I assumed was what it was.)

Well I got home, left the truck running, put it in gear so things were moving to re-create the rattle, put the parking brake on, chocked the wheels to be safe, and get under there. Well, much to my dismay, it was the catalytic converter.

So now here is my dilemma, I dunno if it's the same in the states, but in Ontario, we need to go through an E-test, which is an emissions test. So I will be buying a new cat in the near future, but the ones they sell at service centers aren't guaranteed to pass the e-test! So if I want a sure pass on the e-test, I have to shell out $600ish for the dealer cat.

I guess my question would be, has anyone put a cheaper cat on? Like, the cheaper cat here is $209.99. I'm not even going to consider the $134.99 universal cat. Bleh. The truck is running good now, but the ungodly rattle is embarassing. I'm thinking a baffle broke off in the cat or something, so I hammered at it with a hammer, it's broken already so whatever, to try to pin the broken baffle against something. Any advice?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I sure as heck would never get under a vehicle in gear, regardless how restrained it is.

We had the cat in the firebird replaced form rattlin,g, think we just had a generic put in. We don't do E testing at home but where we're trying to move does, so we dunno.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a universal cat should be fine. i know i would never pay for an oem cat.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Jareski
Veteran

Originally Posted by magnethead
I sure as heck would never get under a vehicle in gear, regardless how restrained it is.

We had the cat in the firebird replaced form rattlin,g, think we just had a generic put in. We don't do E testing at home but where we're trying to move does, so we dunno.
I live life dangerously!

Anyways, I'll try going with the universal. The potential money to be saved outweighs the risk of not passing e-test.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
I agree! Thats just not smart! When I thought my cat went bad (cause it was making the same noise) I crawled under the truck (with it off and firmly planted against the ground) and tapped the cat with a hammer, and it made the rattling noise, so I cut it off and put a piece of straight pipe in its place (we don't have emissions tests on pre-OBDII). Problem solved, no danger involved.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Jareski
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
I agree! Thats just not smart! When I thought my cat went bad (cause it was making the same noise) I crawled under the truck (with it off and firmly planted against the ground) and tapped the cat with a hammer, and it made the rattling noise, so I cut it off and put a piece of straight pipe in its place (we don't have emissions tests on pre-OBDII). Problem solved, no danger involved.
Now rather than insulting my intelligence and telling me how you came across the problem and how you fixed it in your application, please give ME some advice. This is my thread. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

umm dont do it, cats are anti-social animals which you will NEVER see around after you get them into the house, get a dog instead

o wait, you meant catalytic converter, OOPS!!!!!

yea any universal bolt in should work fine, here as long as the engine light is off they assume you have a working cat on the truck (at least w/ OBDII), they only use the "sniffer" on older OBDI cars

Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 PM
big.bryant
Champion

just hop online and find one... shouldn't be too hard

Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

heres all the advice youl ever need

Old 03-11-2009, 05:21 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

i have a universal cat... 70$
does the job...i think
(i dont have an after cat o2 sensor so it throws a code on the regular so....idk lol)

Quick Reply: Need advice on a cat