2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Swap NP231D to NP242D opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 AM
nineighthawk
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap NP231D to NP242D opinions?

Hi all,

My 98 Dakota is almost at 205K on the ticker and the transfer case is starting to make some kinda scary noises, especially after a long trip. It's possibly the chain or a bearing rattling. Not sure what it is, but I don't want to wait for it to go out before I address the issue.

I have found a NP242D case for $100 that was in a 1999 AWD Durango with low miles on it. I have seen that some Dakotas have this NP242D case installed and was wondering if anyone might know if there could be any issues with making my Dakota AWD. The only thing that I can think of is the Front D/S yoke and length.

The main thing I'm worried about is the front differental. I'm assuming that the NP242 has a limited slip of some sort in it to allow the AWD feature. Or, am I wrong? Is the Front Differental different in the Durango to facilitate the AWD?

Normally I would not consider making my Dakota AWD, but for such a cheap case I am definitely entertaining the idea. I know the mileage might get a little worse, but I don't really care about a couple of miles per gallon(like it's that great anyway).

Opinions and suggestions encouraged.

Later -Dave-

Quick Reply: Swap NP231D to NP242D opinions?