2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

NoBus message

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:33 PM
RenoRob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NoBus message

Hi, could I pick your brains for a min to see if you know anything aout this? I have a high mileage 2000 Sport 4wd with the 3.9, at 150,000 I had a Nobus error message on the odometer display and selective gauges went dead. The dealer diagnosed it as a bad pcm and powertrain control module wih a 1000 dollar price tag. Now at 175,000 I'm getting the error message again, the amp gauge goes dead and comes back to life sporaticaly and the warning lights flash like a christmas tree giving me the impression that it's the same problem repeating.
I was thinking about trying to pick a module up from a local late model wrecking yard and trying the install myself. Has anyone tried this and does a bad pcm mean "dealer only" repair or can a half-*** shadetree like me put one in? A few hundred from a wrecking yard sounds a lot better than another grand at the dealer.
I have no complaints about my truck it's lived a hard life doing rural mail delivery service its whole life, loaded down and forced to make a thousand stops in a couple hours, never getting a chance to cool down. I've had very few troubles the 9 yrs its been on the route.
A few things I've learned over the years is that BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KOs last 40% longer than any other tire me or other carriers have tried, and that DBA drilled and slotted rotors take the pounding better than any other rotor I've had. I've worn out 4 sets before putting these on and so far they are well worth the bucks. If they fail prematurely I'll write back and let you know. Thanks!-Rob

Quick Reply: NoBus message