2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 PM
bgibb68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problem

i don't really know what to search for or i would have but here is the lastest issue

i just replaced the oil pump and flushed the motor(valve covers down) but now the truck doesn't really wanna start up

to get it started i have to give it a lil gas when turning the key and keep the rpms up and then after a few secs it's fine....smooth idle right around 750 rpms, no fluttering or cel's. with out steping on the gas pedal it will go up to about 1k rpm and just drop

fuel filter?fuel pump? something else? i know it's not the injectors...they just went through complete cleaning and rebuild(? new orings, etc)

Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

purge the fuel line, or maybe you got some type of moisture in it when you did the flush, and you might have flooded it when trying to start it over and over again...

i would just run some sea foam through the intake manifold and let it idle at about 1500 for a good 15min and then let it sit for about 5min and then try to restart it...

this has happened to me before, due to me leaving the intake off and i guess moisture built up in the intake and when i tried to start it it flooded out till i got it to fire after pouring a tad bit of gas in the throttle body..... talk about BACKFIRE, im surprised i still have a face!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
bgibb68
Rookie

thanks.....i was also thinkin about that one

Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 AM
bgibb68
Rookie

well it was spark plugs....i replaced them and reseted the ecm and all is good

funny thing is the spark plugs that were in it were different....about a .10 of an inch shorter than what i replaced with....and i checked many times.....what i replaced with was correct....really weird....but oh well

Quick Reply: starting problem