2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My new MOMO Steering Wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by User2006
Yeah i removed the Cruise Control a long time ago, to clean up the bay a little, and get more vacuum.

Air bags are more dangerous then they are good, plus to i hit a telephone pole head on awhile back and did 7k dmg to the front end.. and NEITHER of them went off... for all i know the damn thing doesn't even have any... lol..

Plus to im more into looks then safety at this point... plus to its a 200$+ Steering Wheel... no way im passing this up and it matches my interior no way in hell im passing it up, even though i cant afford it right now with all the other **** going on with the court and tranny stuff.
agreed. Mine never went off either, after nailing a go sign.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, well then, i blasted both my airbags in my old 99 R/T, then again, i was t-boned at 45 so.... yeah.....

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the threshold is something like 10mph and 50% of the bumper being involved in the accident... with the stop sign it might have been fast enough but just not enough of the bumper involved to require the airbags...

Old 03-30-2009, 06:05 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by big.bryant
i think the threshold is something like 10mph and 50% of the bumper being involved in the accident... with the stop sign it might have been fast enough but just not enough of the bumper involved to require the airbags...
well, here's the thing. Whe i did my bumper swap...there's no airbag sensors on the bumper. The fogs are the only wiring to it.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM
big.bryant
Champion

well there's your problem...

Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM
JMNeel
Rookie

yeah i dont trust air bags in dakotas anymore.
in my first gen1 i was rearended by an f150 and pushed into a 1/2 ton chevy... no air bag.... my second gen1 i t-boned a VW passat (kid tried to make a u turn in front of me so i put him back in his lane where he belonged)... no air bag... same truck i went head on into a mountain and deffinitely hit the bumper cuz it pushed the radiator into the fan and stoped it... no air bag...
So yeah get rid of them!
Nice find BTW!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
magnethead
Legend

well there's your problem...
is there supposed to be sensors on the bumper? I havent looked on the ram, but i saw no evidence of anything electrical forward of the core support. Just the 2 round things..i assume the horn(s)?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by magnethead
is there supposed to be sensors on the bumper? I havent looked on the ram, but i saw no evidence of anything electrical forward of the core support. Just the 2 round things..i assume the horn(s)?
There is not, apparently.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...nsor-97-dakota

but... http://www.articlesbase.com/law-arti...es-367385.html implies otherwise?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
big.bryant
Champion

best solution would have to be just don't crash your truck... then you don't have to worry about it...

Old 03-31-2009, 08:44 PM
magnethead
Legend

best solution would have to be just don't crash your truck... then you don't have to worry about it...
We had a 65 mustang. Fully restored, fully documented, numbers matching, everything.

A drunk guy on the cell phone on the wrong side of the road going towards the apex of a steep hill near home.

Mom was in correct lane, other side of hill, also going up it.

Yea. totaled 65 Mustang, crunched fron the front, then pitched into a telephone pole sideways.

My dad spend 30 minutes chewing the guy a new butt hole while the police arrested him on DUI. The insurance company only wanted to pay $3000 on the mustang.

Remember i said the car was fully documented?

got enough money to get an 87 camaro Z-28, a boat, and a little money to sit on.

Quick Reply: My new MOMO Steering Wheel...