2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heavy clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
primus454
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy clutch and loud shifter/tranny

Question 1:
So, I just got my Dak and it's great. But the clutch takes quite a bit of effort to push down. Is there anything I can do to make it easier at all or anything I should check? I'm sure it wont be a problem in a few weeks after I build up my leg, it would just be nice to avoid the sore leg in the mean time.

BTW, I am aware that the system can't be bled.

Question 2:
Okay, so this truck just had the tranny replaced (not by us) and it seems that when the shifter was put back in place, they left out sound deadeners which means that the cab is basically filled with noise from the tranny. So does anyone know about sound deadeners in the shifter and replacing them or whatnot?

Last edited by primus454; 03-29-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think thats just the way they are...do you know what kind of clutch they put in it cuz that could make it stiffer if its an after market one but mine is pretty stiff too just gotta get used to it...there is sound deadening in the tranny well under the truck but it doesn't do that good of a job...i have the hurst shifter and just that being all metal compared to stock has made it really loud inside...if you take off the floor console you could probably put some dyno mat or something down to quiet it down a little.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM
big.bryant
Champion

ya the stock clutches are decently rough, my stage 2 is worse but i am just used to it by now... also these are really noisy transmissions so i would just say turn up the stereo and deal with it (its what i do...)

Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
primus454
Professional

No radio in it . Oh well. It doesn't sound too bad now that I've driven it a little. I don't really need a radio too terribly.

And on the clutch, now my joints are fine, but it's the muscle thats sore . But at least the muscle will build up, as the joints only wear down.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
big.bryant
Champion

That'a boy!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Once in a while I get in my company car and without paying attention give the floorboard a good mule-kick, expecting a truck clutch there...good times.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by primus454
BTW, I am aware that the system can't be bled.
Thats not exactly true. It is not designed to be bleedable, but you can bleed it. I did an auto to manual swap in my truck, and I took apart the hydraulic system and dumped out all the old fluid before I realized there was no bleeder valve. Here is what I did to bleed it...

Remove the slave cyl from the transmission with the line still attached to it but remove the line from the master cyl. Get a short peice of rubber hose that will fit snug over the line, attach it to the master cyl end of the line and hold the assembly so that the slave cyl is the lowest point and the top of the line is the highest point, and take the attached hose and stick it in a bottle of brake fluid. Pump the slave cylinder until you no longer see air bubbles coming out of the hose. Fill up the resevoir so that fluid drains out of the master cyl and quickly reattach the line to the master cyl. Pump the slave cyl 2 or 3 more times until you no longer see air bubbles in the resevior.

Unfortunately I did not get any pictures, so I hope this explanation makes sense. It worked great for me.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM
mightyminder
Amateur

I thought my Dakota had a heavy clutch until I changed the clutch out. Then, for a few days, it became very light, I kept putting my foot through the floor. After about a week it became very heavy again, and I am not sure why.

Did bleeding it help?

Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Independentfool
Veteran

this place has what i believe to be the best line of sound deadener, and its cheaper than Dynomat and other big names.
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

Quick Reply: Heavy clutch?