2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My $106.78 Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
SeaWeedCT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My $106.78 Rear Bumper

My rear bumper got a wee bit dinged while on a snowy January off road recovery adventure for one of my buddies about a year a half ago. Long story short my bumper kissed a 6 inch oak and I have pissed about it ever since. So, for all you guys with a fouled up rear bumper this is what I did:
1. Finding the Part:Craigslist and ebay are great places to find used bumpers. I checked the local junkyards too, they usually have something. I ended up scoring big on craigslist when I found a bumper listed for $150 off a 2000 2wd Dakota. I negotiated and offered 100 cash, and bam the deal was done.
2. Prepping the Bumper: You'll need to strip it down to the bone, this means all brackets and panels have to come off. The rear panels are held on by plastic push pins and a base that locks it. The pins must be pulled first then the bases next. The rest is as simple as squeezing the tabs together and pushing them out. Once you have all the plastic off use a pneumatic angle grinder (or Dremel, or sand paper) and strip every bit of paint and rust off the inside and out. It gets messy and frustrating so wear a mask and goggles, and have a cold beer ready. Lastly, use a bench grinder with a wire wheel and clean up the hardware and brackets.
3. Paint: I like my bumpers flat black (did the front last year), they wear better and are extremely easy to touch up. A simple can of Rustoleum flat black is my choice. You'll need about 3-4 coats for best rust prevention and wear. Painting the inside you can be very sloppy and do not need to worry about paint drips or runs. You can actually use a paint brush to get an even coating and clean up puddles that may form. Once the inside is done and dry, flip it over and do the outside. The outside takes time and patience, go slow and go light. I have gained quite the finesse with a rattle can over the years. I strongly recommend at least 3 coats on this process. Next you have to paint the plastic inserts that you took off, same thing here. Three coats flat back paint or you can order OEM Chrysler paint in a can, you just need the paint code. Lastly, paint the hardware and brackets. Once all paint is done, reassemble the entire thing, you can use your old bumper as a guide if you forget how everything goes.
4. Remove the old Bumper: This can be a struggle, especially if the old hardware is very rusty. Liquid wrench, 18mm 6 point deep well socket on a 1/2 inch drive, and a breaker bar are necessary. Disconnect the license plate lights before you start taking hardware out. Once the bumper is off take a break and have a smoke, clean up your bloody knuckles.
5. Put the new one on: I recommend having a buddy help you, it's much easier. Installation is just the opposite of removal. I recommend putting shop towels on the ends of the bumper to prevent dinging the corners of the bed below the tail lights.

All in all this project took me about 5 hours and cost me $100 for the bumper and $6.78 for a couple cans of paint. OEM bumpers go for $400 or more!! Here are some pictures of the process:

Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice the same thing happened to me i got hit in like the same spot...got an r/t bumper from a guy for $100 and my friend is painting it for free

Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
usmrocks
Veteran

i thought i saw SWEETWEED instead of SEAWEED

Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM
big.bryant
Champion

great little write up... looks 10x better!

Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey truck looks awesome im also from around (I understand the user name since you're from Niantic) you but up a little north in Preston right on the N.Stonington town line. How do you like the BFG all terrians? Im going to need some new tires soon. Good lookin truck

Last edited by bpark8824; 04-02-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM
SeaWeedCT

Originally Posted by bpark8824
hey truck looks awesome im also from around (I understand the user name since you're from Niantic) you but up a little north in Preston right on the N.Stonington town line. How do you like the BFG all terrians? Im going to need some new tires soon. Good lookin truck
Hey thanks, I dig the black rims on yours, been thinking about doing that. Preston eh, no kidding! I'm up that way a lot, I go to school that Three Rivers in Norwich. The BFG's At's? Hands down the best tires I've ever bought, I would strongly recommend them. Good look, not to loud, great handling / gas mileage, they're good in snow, mud, dirt, whatever, and if you rotate them every oil change they'll last for a minimum of 50,000 miles (that's what they're warranteed for). But a guy I know has over 70000 on the same tires, and they're still good.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got bfg's all terrains on my truck and have to agree they are a great tire. Plus they have a aggressive look to them and that what I love about them. I will def by them again.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
big.bryant
Champion

glad to hear that yall like them, im running good year wrangler ats right now and will probably change them out for the BFG all terrains... about how much did you pay for them?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didnt buy them(they came with my truck) I think when I was looking at them for my ram they were around 500.00

Old 04-03-2009, 07:19 PM
usmrocks
Veteran

anyone got or seen a different front and rear bumper, maybe something that looks like it's for farmwork and what not. tubes or what not

Quick Reply: My $106.78 Rear Bumper