2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil pressure drops to ZERO at stops.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM
primus454
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure drops to ZERO at stops.

Okay well basically whenever I come to a stop, the oil pressure drops all the way to zero and dings, but comes back in a few seconds and/or while accelerating. Any ideas? The truck isn't giving me any type of indication that something is wrong. It may have or may have not been happening for a while, because there is a problem with the ABS so that dings during stops as well.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

hmm.. make sure you have enough oil in it?
mine did that a couple times a couple weeks ago not sure why,
it did just pop back up when i goosed the throttle a bit

Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 PM
primus454
Professional

Yes there is enough oil, and as my other thread says, the dipstick reads more than full, even after I drained a good bit.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

oh, that was you... mah bad... lol

mine stopped doing it.. so i havent a clue

Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

change the oil, see what happens. I had this once, changed the oil it went away.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:42 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using a Fram oil filter? If so, change your oil and put a Purolator, Wix, K&N, mobile 1 or STP filter on. Fram's have been notorious for oil pressure issues.

If your getting up there in miles, your oil pump may be getting weak, or you may have a bad sending unit causing the Gauge light to show no oil pressure, but you really do. Verify that you are indeed loosing oil pressure at idle.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 PM
primus454
Professional

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
Are you using a Fram oil filter? If so, change your oil and put a Purolator, Wix, K&N, mobile 1 or STP filter on. Fram's have been notorious for oil pressure issues.

If your getting up there in miles, your oil pump may be getting weak, or you may have a bad sending unit causing the Gauge light to show no oil pressure, but you really do. Verify that you are indeed loosing oil pressure at idle.
Yea, it's a Fram. It is just for a flush change (newly bought truck) and Advanced Auto had a special going. Planned on a K&N when I put the good stuff in.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
RTJones19

I had this happen on my Durango AND Dakota.

It is more than likely the notorious engine sludge that builds up over time...and clogs the oil pick-up screen. It doesnt matter how often...or well you maintain these trucks...it always seems to happen one time or another.

I just put some diesel in the oil...and idled the truck for 10 minutes...then changed the oil...problem went away.

eventually it is going to hit 0 and never pop back...and then it starts knocking...and well...you know what happens then. Nip this in thebud before that happens.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 PM
jar1zx

Originally Posted by RTJones19
I had this happen on my Durango AND Dakota.

It is more than likely the notorious engine sludge that builds up over time...and clogs the oil pick-up screen. It doesnt matter how often...or well you maintain these trucks...it always seems to happen one time or another.

I just put some diesel in the oil...and idled the truck for 10 minutes...then changed the oil...problem went away.

eventually it is going to hit 0 and never pop back...and then it starts knocking...and well...you know what happens then. Nip this in thebud before that happens.

the engine sludge can be fixed. if u dont run the truck with no oil pressure
mines be running fine now. but its a real pain in the *** to fix

Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 PM
primus454
Professional

i know this thread is old news but i finally got around to changing the oil pressure sending unit (bitch was in there tight) and that fixed it. pressure is still on the low side though. Im hoping that a dose of seafoam and an oil change will fix that.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure drops to ZERO at stops.