2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Wiring Driving Lights To High Beam (2000 Dak)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
DeadSpace4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Driving Lights To High Beam (2000 Dak)

Hey all,

I am attempting to wire a set of driving lights (NOT fogs) to run when my OE high beams are on. In my state it is required that driving lights go on/off with the high beams. In addition, I have a switch inside the cab to turn the lights off manually. Currently, when the truck is on the lights work as required.

However, when I turn off the truck and turn off the OE lights the driving lights stay illuminated. It appears that Dodge is breaking the ground, rather than the hot lead, in order to switch the headlights on and off. I have used a probe to test this and all three wires leading to the head light remain hot while the truck is off.

This being the case I am attempting to wire the ground on my relay to break when the ground for the OE high beams breaks. However, I am having some difficulty locating the ground wire on the dashboard switch, since it is wired into a stock harness with about 20 wires in it.

Has anyone encountered this problem before or know of a solution? This is my first post here so if this issue is addressed in another thread please point me in that direction.

Once again, this is not a fog light installation and my Dakota did not come with OE fog lights.

Thanks In Advance
Mike

Quick Reply: Wiring Driving Lights To High Beam (2000 Dak)