2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Debadging - One Comment and a 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:53 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Debadging - One Comment and a 2 questions

So, I debadged my door's, and I must say that the pinstripe eraser pad is amazing! I mean all it is really is a giant pencil eraser, but still, amazing.

Anyway, wanted to say that if anybody is planning on removing the V8 badges on the fenders, there are alignment pins there. And now, I've got two holes in my fender. Awesome. Kidding, I have to order a new badge. I will not accept any holes in my fender, so the V8's are staying for now.

On another note, does anyone know if the eraser pad will work on the Dodge and 4x4 vinyl's on the tailgate? I'm assuming it will, but just want to make sure.

And finally, There's some ghost lines around where it said Dakota SLT on the doors. Will a good clay bar and wax get rid of this?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 04-12-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:39 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, those eraser wheels are great, but if your talking about the pneumatic ones that I'm used to using, be careful cause they can burn clear coat and turn it yellow (It's really noticable on white cars)

Why do you need to replace the badges? I worked in a body shop for over 3 years and we just retaped them with some 3M double sided tape... unless you broke them in half when you took them off.

I don't think the V8 badges have holes in them... at least they don't on the 1st gens.... but then again, if you're rebadging the rest you may as well keep them.

Those eraser pad will work, but not very well on vinal decals... it will get the decals off but it will melt the vinal at the same time and be a mess. The only other way to get them off is with a heat gun and plastic scraper. It's up to you.

Sorry, but nothing will get rid of ghost lines except time... they will eventually fade away.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
02dakslt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

v6 badges are stick on, v8 have the pins, i peeled my v6 ones off they just had 3M on them

Old 04-12-2009, 11:26 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Ah,. well, the V8's have pins. And yes 95_318SLT, I did break it taking it off. At the time, I didn't care if I broke them, I just wanted them off.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
Ah,. well, the V8's have pins. And yes 95_318SLT, I did break it taking it off. At the time, I didn't care if I broke them, I just wanted them off.
if im reading this right, your saying your debadging it forever? or just until you get new badges? ..i guess not that it really matters... i also wanna debadge my 1st gen, but the only thing is, is the whole black strip they put on my truck thats gunna be a pain in the ***

Old 04-12-2009, 02:19 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Originally Posted by 3.9l93dakota
if im reading this right, your saying your debadging it forever? or just until you get new badges? ..i guess not that it really matters... i also wanna debadge my 1st gen, but the only thing is, is the whole black strip they put on my truck thats gunna be a pain in the ***
I guess I may as well tell you this here instead of starting a new thread in our section :P
The black body side molding aren't that bad if you have an air compressor and get one of the pneumatic eraser wheels mentioned above. To get the moldings off, take a thin wire (like the "G" string on a 6 string guitar) and 2 vice grip pliers to hold each end of the wire, and use that to cut off the moldings. If your careful, you won't harm the paint, and it will slice through the tape like cheese. Once the moldings are off, use the eraser wheel to get off all the tape. I've done it too many times to count at the shop and with my own truck back when I painted it (and I never put them back on cause I think they're ugly). Like I said above, don't let the panel get hot when your using the wheel because it will burn clearcoat.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:16 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Originally Posted by 3.9l93dakota
Yes. I want to be debadged for forever. I just love the look of a clean door.

I was going to get one of the 3rd gen V8 badges with the carbon fiber look for either side of the Fenders, but I'm not sure if they have the pins and I don't want there to be any possible way of water getting behind the badge and causing rust down the road.
On the other hand, I am a clean freak when it comes to my truck, and I love the look of the carbon fiber...

Old 04-12-2009, 09:24 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Trust me... you won't get water in the pin holes if you cover the entire badge in 3M tape! I mean if you want to think about this way... those pins don't seal the holes at all, they are a loose fit (I've rebadged more than my fair share of cars at the body shop), and water isn't getting in right now! My $0.02 is go ahead and do it the way you want cause it will work and should look sweet!

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-12-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

If nothing else, stick some silicone or something from the inside of the fender...

Old 04-14-2009, 05:55 PM
zanethan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I debadged my V6 and there were definitely holes in the fender. Just take some bondo fill the holes and respray if its you want them gone that badly.

Quick Reply: Debadging - One Comment and a 2 questions