2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

looking at a 03 slt quad cab..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

voila i think is how its spelt lol

Old 04-15-2009, 02:38 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by big.bryant
i got an 01 with a manual (without leather but everything else is the same between our trucks) with 63512 miles on it for 12.8 out the door (with taxes an all that) about 20 months ago... 14k for the same thing now is just retarded.
14k for a dakota is just straight up way too expensive. like everyone else said, id barter them down to 11 or 12.

with todays economy, im surprised to see someone trying to sell a truck like that for so much. redonculous

Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

show up with 10k in cash and the guy will **** his pants and take it because NO ONE is buying cars, let alone trucks, right now.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
bpark8824
Champion

+1 show up with cash and walk out the door w/ a deal. When people see cash they take it.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
+1 show up with cash and walk out the door w/ a deal. When people see cash they take it.
x2

cash speaks volumes... if you can (and obviously not everyone can) but if you can, pay for a car in cash, its way better IMO to own it outright and not have to worry about being upside down. Some stores even give you a discount for a cash purchase just cuz they don't have to worry about financing and all that other shi

Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 PM
habiak
Rookie

everyone selling a vehicle marks it up a bit hoping some fool with just say yes to the set price

Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 AM
billy_666

Originally Posted by habiak
everyone selling a vehicle marks it up a bit hoping some fool with just say yes to the set price
Heres what they said back after I asked about price...
"

Ryan has left for the day, so I just wanted to get back to you today. I am Alan, Ryan's dad. (Ryan will be back in tomorrow.) By the way, were you aware, for the 2003 model year, the 2003 Dodge Dakota was the winner of Edmund's.com Editor's Most Wanted Compact Truck? The Toyota Tacoma was the runner-up.
We recommend that buying locally is the smarter way of going, in that traveling a great distance to only find that the vehicle is not up to your standards costs you time as well as money. And, if a problem develops, it is much easier to deal with on a local basis. Plus, another huge factor, is that you don't have to deal with the rust problems that a vehicle from back east will present. Besides rust eating away at the body, it also eats away at the components. That is one of the reasons that vehicles from back east have many additional problems such as ball joints, etc., that you would normally not face here. A vehicle from back east SHOULD be priced substantially below a vehicle from the west coast.
Also, in comparing vehicles online, there is a huge difference in options and miles. I checked AutoTrader.com within a 200 mile radius of us, and we are very competitive. Everything I found was well over 100,000 miles, or 6 cylinder, and/or no options (no power windows, door locks, etc.), or just nowhere near the features that our Dakota has. Even the very few that approached a semblance of our options, they still were left lacking. Ours is the only one with leather, Infinity premium sound, power seat, trip computer, etc..
Of even more importance is condition. No one is as thorough as we in our 140 point service, safety-check, and certification process. Our Dakota is DEQ ready, freshly serviced, has brand new front brakes including rotors machined, rear brakes have 50% remaining, we have performed a transmission fluid exchange, changed the rear differential fluid, and installed a new driver side exhaust manifold gasket.
I apologize for being so wordy, but there are bonafide reasons for the huge discrepencies in prices. We offer the highest quality vehicles at very competitives, making ours the best value for your dollar. Our Dakota is also a one-owner, non-smoker vehicle. If you look at the bottom of page two of the CarFax, it states that being a one-owner vehicle is alone worth an average of $1,379 more. I hope that you see that our Dakota is a very good value at $13,987. Thanks for your interest. Let us know if you would like to set up an appointment to test drive our vehicle."

thoughts??

Last edited by billy_666; 04-16-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 AM
usmrocks
Veteran

atleast he did all the work for you looking at other vehicles haha, and back east where? that's some northern rust he's thinking about

Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 AM
bpark8824
Champion

The guy is full of $hit. Hes making up excuses. 14 is too high. period. In this economy he won't be able to sell that. Hes a sales man of course he is going to make 14 sound resonable. This is where you say 12k or no deal and he either has to take it or leave it. Don't fall for a deal thats not worth it. I personally have been through this a couple times. Patience is key. If he doesn't take 12 keep looking. Dakotas are not rare you will find another. I almost bought a truck but kept looking and found one of the nicest (IMO) dakotas in the area and it paid off. Not a problem so far.

Sorry to ramble on, but I can not tell you enough how important patience is, and not to fall for salemens bull. Its their job to bull $hit you.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
bpark8824
Champion

For private party in my area ( I live in CT so I know it may be different but not much ) on kbb w/ all those options it says 10,420 for good condition and 10,920 for excellent. So don't offer more than that.

I put in San Jose Ca. also just to see if a "West" vehicle made a difference and it didn't it was about $100 more out there. So its not worth 14, or even close to that. Offer KBB and if he doesn't take it, oh well it was not meant to be, he might come crawling back in 4 mo. when it has not been sold still and you already found a nicer truck.

And sorry again for going on, but car salesmen drive me nuts, they are all crooks full of $hit.

Last edited by bpark8824; 04-16-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: looking at a 03 slt quad cab..