2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

voltage regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:46 AM
batman13
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage regulator?

anybody know where it is?
i might replace it with a slightly higher output unit before i jump for a 190 alternator.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

They are usually on or in the alternator. Many later models are all internally regulated. And I wouldn't go around changing the voltage regulator. It makes sure you aren't over-charging your battery. It regulates DC to AC output from the alternator to make sure it doesn't go over 15-`15.5 volts or under 12-13. If you charge your battery too much it can burn it out. Just like it you don't charge it enough.

Not sure if you already knew that, but throwing it out there anyway.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

when i start demanding serious power, like dual batteries, multiple high power subs, amps, i have dual air compressors that pull a lot of juice.
stock wont cut it and i can burn out a battery that dosnt have enough volts coming from the alternator,

upgrading the alternator is going to happen, but if the regulator is external id rather change it now

what aftermarket regulators do is keep the output above 14(ish) no matter what, its mostly an upgrade meant for heavy duty batteries or multiple

i will be getting a heavy duty battery soon, figured if the regulator is easy, id do it now

Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

The VR isn't causing you to burn through batteries. Your power demand is. With what your running you most definitely need a dual battery set up and the 190 amp alt (or higher). I would look into some diesel truck batteries. The more amps you can get the better off you'll be.

Let me try to explain this the best way I can. The VR is only in control of charging your battery. A VR's job is to keep the charging output at a minimum of 13v or there about's. The electrical systems in your truck do not run off the battery when the truck is running. They run off the alt. Think of the battery like a capacitor. It stores voltage (Really, it stores amperage) and can absorb hick-ups from the alternator. Electrical systems do not really run off of volts. They run off of amps. Your truck is demanding high amounts of amperage. When you first start your truck, the battery provides the amps needed to turn the starter. Once the engine is running, the battery is no longer providing power. Once the engine is running the alt charges back up the battery and then provides the power to run all the accessories. Does this make sense to ya? I did the best I could.

basically what your having a problem with is not enough amperage. Let's say running, your truck is pulling 150 amps total with everything you've got, but you alt is only putting out 100 amps max. That means every time you run your truck the alt is ALWAYS at max output trying to run everything in the truck, but your truck is also taking amps from the battery, because the all can not put out another 50 amps. Not only will this burn out your alt quickly, but you will go through batteries like crazy. the proper solution for this and especially someone like you who is running massive amounts of power demand is a dual battery, and high output alt. I would also make sure you've got a couple capacitors, like for your system, and your suspension. Like I said up there, try looking into some diesel truck batteries. Like for a 3500 that is running a dual battery. Check to see what amps their alts put out (As I'm not sure) Try running something like that.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 04-22-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

well its a common mod in the minitruck world, up the alt volts just a little bit, helps with the power consumption, its not like id be running 15 volts constantly,

i'll see if theres a problem, right now i know i need a new battery since its 5 years old...and it tested at 7 volts charged....
i'll be jumping up to a 120a alt soon after i get tires done

Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Try to calculate how much amperage your using when you have everything on. Then add 10-20 amps to that number. That's what you should look for in an alternator output.

I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question. But I'm pretty sure the alt is internally regulated. I wasn't sure if you knew what you were getting into the the VR either...

Old 04-23-2009, 05:28 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

well, the regulator piggybacks the alternator i found out,
and my problem is not the alternator, nor is it the bad battery

went and got them both checked, the battery is bad but the alternator puts out the proper amps, but my truck idles at 500rpms with a good battery

oh boy...

Old 04-23-2009, 07:05 AM
jagass
Professional

Usually on the alternator...

Quick Reply: voltage regulator?