2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Parking break adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 PM
beefjerky
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake adjustment

Afternoon guys. The parking brake on my truck works, just not as well as it should. It will hold the truck, but only on a very slight incline. I always figured I would just park it in reverse or first and it'd be fine, but the other day I decided to park at a gas station on an incline and neither first or reverse would hold the truck

So anyway, how do I accomplish this? Thanks guys.

Last edited by beefjerky; 05-09-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

if they still do em like they used to, you can follow the cable under the cab, and where it splits t the 2 rear brakes, there should be an adjustment clasp there.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive a 98 dak 3.9 5 speed once and awhile. The parking break works but if I park on a steeper incline I do 1st gear and low range. I dont know if the daks are this way but I remember something like putting the parking brake on and driving slowly in reverse its suppose to tighten it up.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I drive a 98 dak 3.9 5 speed once and awhile. The parking break works but if I park on a steeper incline I do 1st gear and low range. I dont know if the daks are this way but I remember something like putting the parking brake on and driving slowly in reverse its suppose to tighten it up.
tapping the brakes in reverse calibrates the ragular drum brakes..i don't know if doing same with park brake does same thing or not.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 PM
big.bryant
Champion

mines like that too, i got to get it adjusted... so there is a clasp at the break off point where i can adjust it?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:32 PM
beefjerky
Professional

Sorry it's been a while since my thread was posted in.

Anyway, I attached a pic of some kind of adjustment thing in the parking brake's cable. Just not exactly sure of what to do..

Last edited by beefjerky; 04-27-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 PM
fishbait

With the e-brake off, tighten up the nut on the threaded rod a little then engage the e-brake and see how it works. Keep tightening a little at a time and checking till you get the brake to hold properly. By the looks of it, you still have about a half inch of adjustment there...Clean the threads with a wire brush first so it is easier to turn the nut. If you tighten the nut to the end and it still doesn't hold properly, you prolly should replace the brake pads.
cheers, Mike...

Old 10-04-2010, 12:12 PM
wrc259
Unhappy Needing help myself...

Guys,

I too have been trying to adjust the parking brake on my 2004 Dakota.
It has the 4-wheel disc brakes and I have taken up about all the 'slack' that I can get out of the cable under the cab, using the adjuster buckle.
My question now is, should I be looking for another place in the brake system to tighten those parking brakes ?
With the rear axle on jackstands the rear wheels just keep rotating even when the parking brake is applied; ( I can hear and feel some drag, but no real gripping.)
The truck has already had a new brake job,...pads and rotors work.
The regular brakes when driving work properly. It just won't hold when using the parking brake.
What's next ???

Old 10-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Scrufdog

if you've used up all the slack at the adjuster I'd bet its time for some new cables, sounds like they are stretched out.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it hold if your front is pointed down a hill and not if the rear is pointed down? thats how mine is...i dont really care anymore since it seems to always hold when its in gear

Quick Reply: Parking break adjustment