2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 Dakota - Air will not turn on (heat or cool)

Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
sstalder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dakota - Air will not turn on (heat or cool)

It all started out about 6 months ago with only the first notch on my air not working, the other 3 worked fine (along with heat and air conditioning).

Now all of the sudden none of them work. When I turn on my air to any notch nothing happens. Is this ran by a fuse? I checked all my fuses and had none blown.

Can anyone recommend any checks I can do to remedy this? Thank you!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
caddy owner

The (almost) former owner of the 02 that I'm buying had what sounds like the same problem. He said his mechanic said it was a common problem with Dakotas and a replacement module cured the problem.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

Originally Posted by sstalder
It all started out about 6 months ago with only the first notch on my air not working, the other 3 worked fine (along with heat and air conditioning).

Now all of the sudden none of them work. When I turn on my air to any notch nothing happens. Is this ran by a fuse? I checked all my fuses and had none blown.

Can anyone recommend any checks I can do to remedy this? Thank you!

Sounds like your resistor block went bad. its a common problem on these dak's mine went bad a month or two ago and i got one at the dodge dealership for less than 10 bucks. Its located right under the glovebox and it is held in with two screws and it will come right out. but before you go and by a new one check the resistor block wiring harness. Mine at the same time like burnt up so i needed to replace the wiring harness too. good luck. hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
cnctony
Default resisor block outage

The reason the resistor block goes out is because of excessive current. Excessive current is caused by bad connections, in the connector to the resistor unit, loose ground connections, dammaged / shorted wires or a fan that is not spinning freely. It could be as simple as replacing the unit or the fan motor. When you replace, check the connections, check the blower fan and you should be good to go. If you just replace you may have to replace again along with other parts or cleaning connections. I always use Di-electric grease whenever I disconnect and reconnect anything on my car or truck. Good luck

Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hvac resistor cards are garbage from the factory... its located in the passenger footwell.. you need to replace it and you'll be set.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 AM
sstalder

Thanks guys. I will give this a look today!

Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 AM
sstalder

Just wanted to give an update. I stopped by the dealer this morning and got the part ($7.50) and it now works like a charm. Even works better than it ever has. I swear it has turbo speeds now!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Osprey Engineer
Default What does the part look like?

I have a similar problem on my 02'. Fan only comes on at the highest setting. So in this thread I have seen the part called
resistor block
hvac resistor card
replacement module

What does it look like. I pulled a part near the blower motor. It looks like a flat black rectangle. Is this the part?

In another thread I saw a cure was the blower motor relay loacted in the power distrabution block. Anyone know where that is located?

Thanks

Originally Posted by sstalder
Just wanted to give an update. I stopped by the dealer this morning and got the part ($7.50) and it now works like a charm. Even works better than it ever has. I swear it has turbo speeds now!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM
project99
Rookie

If someone could post a pic of what to look for that would be awesome!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Osprey Engineer
Default Found it. Fixed it

My fan only worked on high speed. So this summer we were freezing or sweating. Replacing the blower motor resistor did the trick. Here is a picture of the old part for the next guy looking.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAGE_372.jpg (85.4 KB, 28 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Dakota - Air will not turn on (heat or cool)