2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cinderella period? Not so sure.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 PM
dskup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man. Come on guys. Is that what this site is all about, blind adoration? Yeah, ok, I was biitching. I'm frustrated because I've put thousands of dollars into my truck in the past year and I still can't figure everything out (nor can the shop). But despite what someone wrote about my previous threads, I have not used this site to complain. Rather I've used it to learn from guys who are better mechanics than me.

Those who are verbally crucifying me have completely missed the point. I've owned only five cars in my life going back to the mid '70s.... two Chevys, one Ford, and two Dodge, and I've loved them all. I want to continue buying American cars, not Toyotas. But if we love our country and want to keep automotive manufacturing here, we have to do something to improve off the line quality. That may **** off some of you, but it's a reality. The reason foreign car makers have gained huge ground on us is not because they do better marketing, or sell cheaper, or have cheaper labor. It's because they built a reputation for quality that has undermined American car sales.

You can't better a company, or a country, for that matter without being able to critique it. That's why we have freedom of speech. Hell, that's why we can carry guns if you want to take it that far.

So bash me if you want. And I'll keep trying to figure out what's wrong with my Dakota. And when I get to 200K miles, I'll probably buy another Dodge. But I sure would prefer to spend my money on mods instead of fuel pumps.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:28 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dare you to buy a toyota. in fact, i tripple dog dare you to buy one. and when something on it breaks, maybe you'll realize any vehicle is going to have problems. if i were you i'd take my truck to a different shop that can actually diagnose and fix the problem. it could be something as simple as a fuel pump relay for all you know. some 2$ part made in china.
also, its kinda hard to argue with your own posts that are stored in the server.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the American cars went through a rough point in the last 10 - 15 years where the quality was lacking that of some other brands. I have to admit my room mate last year gave me a lot of $hit when my motor blew at 115k and his was still running strong at 300k in his Toyota. I will always own and American car. I live here, I work here, and I don't feel like turning around and giving it to the Japs. I like to think we are capable of making a higher quality automobile here but at times I wonder. Dodge def went through some tough times quality wise, but they will get better. I hate it but its pretty bad when I say I bought a Dodge and friends laugh and are like 'really you know its going to fall apart right?' But it won't stop me from supporting my country.

My girlfriends father loves Toyota and I kinda argue sometimes with him when he says Americans can't build a higher quality car right now, but I love to point out that 2 of my dads work trucks (an 02 and 04 F-150) both a 300k + now on orginal motor AND trans. and a third is at 200k and I can tell you some of the guys that drive them don't exactly baby or take care of them. Its nice seeing that from a American truck seeing as people think only Toyotas can last 300k

Last edited by bpark8824; 05-12-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I like to think we are capable of making a higher quality automobile here but at times I wonder. Dodge def went through some tough times quality wise, but they will get better. I hate it but its pretty bad when I say I bought a Dodge and friends laugh and are like 'really you know its going to fall apart right?' But it won't stop me from supporting my country.
You are right. The "American" car companies (Chrysler/GM/Ford) are fully capable of designing vehicles that are better than "foreign" vehicles.
They had some good days. They've had some not good days.

It's hard to gain a good reputation, it's very easy to get a bad reputation.

Hopefully Chrysler can emerge from this storm and set the standard for quality.

Quick Reply: Cinderella period? Not so sure.