2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

O2 sensor and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Question O2 sensor and MPG

I have been researching O2 sensors and most of what I read says they really only have a service life of about 80,000 miles. My truck has 108,000 miles. The MPG is suffering a little and I wonder if anyone here has changed their O2's out as a maintenance item (meaning there is no check engine light on) and if so did it help the MPG and performance at all?

I have a 2001 Dakota with the 3.9 V6 and 5-speed manual transmission. I recently did a tune up with plugs, wires, cap and rotor and I use only name brand gas, Chevron or Shell. It gets a dose of Regane every 5,000 miles. My CEL is not on, I just wonder if new O2's will help.

I'm interested in knowing how a new set of O2 sensors may help me and whether anyone else got any benefit from replacing theirs as a maintenance item. I appreciate any info you guys can offer.

Jimmy

Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot of things can determen a slight loss in MPG... Tire PSI is one of them, check them make sure they are not low.

o2s are expensive about 50$ a pop, depending on your emssion you can have either 2 or 4 of them, meaning your going to drop 100$ - 200$ for them.

Your best bet is to just take them out and look at them, and clean them off, beleive me our trucks are very senstive to the o2s if ANYTHING is wrong, 90% of the time it will throw a CEL... if your not throwing any codes, then they should be fine, but there is that find margin of 10% of the time they dont give you codes, clean them off if they have never been changed in the 108k miles.. i would just change them since they are past due.

a new high flow cat would help to.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor and MPG